Crocheting is a process of creating materials and fabrics with the use of crochet hooks to interlock the material, thread band yarn loops. The hook comes from different types of materials like wood, metal, or plastic.
Crochet hooks are usually tiny with a round shaft that points to one end. The point makes the hook insertion through the fabric that you want to crochet easily, very easy to pull back and forth.
The hooks come in different forms, shapes, and sizes, and that can be confusing for a beginner. It can be challenging to know which is right to purchase and will be perfect for your project.
Therefore, here is a guide that will get you familiar with the hooks and also help you make the right choice when you want to select hooks for projects.
- What is the Best Crochet Hook For Beginners?
- Top 12 Crochet Hooks For Beginners Comparison Chart 2020
- Best Crochet Hooks For Beginners 2020
- Lion Brand Yarn 400-5-1907 Crochet Hook
- KeNeer Crochet Hooks
- Embroidex 9 Pc Ergonomic Crochet Hooks
- BeCraftee Ergonomic Crochet Hook
- Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook
- LIHAO Crochet Hooks
- BCMRUN Multicolor Crochet Hooks
- Athena’s Elements Crochet Hook
- Clover Amour Crochet Hook
- WooCrafts Large-Eye Needles Crochet Hooks
- Tulip Etimo Rose Crochet Hook
- Crochet Lite
- How to Select the Best Crochet Hook for Beginners
- Select the Right Type of Hook Material
- Frequently asked questions
What is the Best Crochet Hook For Beginners?
Beginners in the crochet world need durable and perfect hooks that provide comfort to the hand and minimizes stress. The below comprehensive review will give you a great insight before you make any purchase.
- Best Overall: Lion Brand Yarn 400-5-1907 Crochet Hook
“Easy to use plastic hooks, no rough edges, and lightweight.”
- Perfect for adults: KeNeer Crochet Hooks
“Amazingly fast for stitches, compact hook, soft handle, and reduces fatigue.”
- Best ergonomic hook: Embroidex Crochet Hooks
“Comes in handy-case for comfort, compact handle for trouble-free crocheting and sizes ranges from 2mm to 6mm.”
- Best for advanced crochets: BeCraftee Ergonomic Crochet Hook
“Top-quality hook’s units, rubber handles to reduce stress and smooth hook tips.”
- Great for beginners: Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook
“Lightweight, durable, comes with a sturdy design and sizes from 3.75mm to 6.5mm.”
- Best for universal projects: LIHAO Aluminum Crochet Hooks
“Very easy to use, top-quality rubber handle, units with aluminum hooks, gives accuracy and a fine finish.”
- Perfect for simple projects: BCMRUN Multicolor Crochet Hooks
“Easy to use, multi-color, and comes with 14 different hooks.”
- Best for beginners with arthritic hands: Athena’s Elements Crochet Hook
“Sturdy design, easy to hold, lightweight, and deep hook throat to catch yarns.”
- The most comfortable hook: Clover Amour Crochet Hook
“Well-built design, rubber handles, minimize stress and yarn go through easily.”
- The most versatile hook: WooCrafts Large-Eye Needles Crochet Hooks
“Large eye needles, soft rubber handles, and can stand the test of time.”
- Perfect for professionals: Tulip Etimo Rose Crochet Hook
“Sturdy design, comfortable handle, and smooth tips cushion.”
- The best for shady locations: Crochet Lite
“Perfect for dark yarns, easy to use, provides light, and has a maximum size of 6.50mm.”
Top 12 Crochet Hooks For Beginners Comparison Chart 2020
|Lion Brand Yarn 400-5-1907 Crochet Hook - Best Overall||Plastic||3.7 x 1.9 x 9.3 inches||0.8 ounces|
|KeNeer Crochet Hooks - Perfect for adults||Aluminum alloy, Rubber||7.6 x 7.6 x 7.6 cm||227 g|
|Embroidex 9 Pc Ergonomic Crochet Hooks - Best ergonomic hook||Aluminum||6.6 x 5.3 x 1.2 inches||10.4 ounces|
|BeCraftee Ergonomic Crochet Hook - Best for advanced crochets||Aluminum||10.7 x 0.8 x 8.2 inches||8.8 ounces|
|Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook - Great for beginners||Aluminum||0.8 x 0.9 x 7.5 inches||0.48 ounces|
|LIHAO Crochet Hooks - Best for universal projects||Aluminum||7.5 x 0.8 x 5.5 inches||0.64 ounces|
|BCMRUN Multicolor Crochet Hooks - Perfect for simple projects||Aluminum||6.7 x 5.1 x 0.6 inches||4.5 ounces|
|Athena's Elements Crochet Hooks - Best for beginners with arthritic hands||Ergonomic Thermoplastic Rubber||7 x 5 x 1.5 inches||9.6 ounces|
|CLOVER Amour Crochet Hook - The most comfortable hook||Metal, plastic||7.5 x 1.1 x 4 inches||118 g|
|WooCrafts Large-Eye Needles Crochet Hooks - The most versatile hook||Steel||6.9 x 2.8 x 1 inches||6.4 ounces|
|Tulip Etimo Rose Crochet Hook - Perfect for professionals||Dimensions - 10.8 x 9.3 inches||8.8 ounces|
|Crochet Lite - The best for shady locations||Metal||9 x 0.7 x 2 inches||0.8 ounces|
Best Crochet Hooks For Beginners 2020
Lots of people have been lucky to watch their grannies or parents crochet in the past, but lots of people nowadays have taken an interest, and there have been lots of creativity out there. As a beginner into the crocheting world, you most definitely need a crochet hook.
There are lots of crochet hook, and selecting the right one can be a difficult task. Below is my selection of the best crochet hooks for beginners:
Lion Brand Yarn 400-5-1907 Crochet Hook
The Lion Brand crochet hook is a swift and smooth hook, its hook has a Q shape and function better if you want a smooth result. Each of the hooks has its size.
It is made from plastic and does not have rough edges that affect the yarn or hands, unlike aluminum styles.
- Made from plastic
- Comfortable plastic hooks
- Reduces hand pain
- Item weight – 0.8 ounces
- Item Brand – Lion Brand Yarn
- Model number – 400-5-1907
- Lightweight hook
- The crochet hook has an easy outlook
- The hook is well-built and makes crocheting more fun
- The hand of the hook is slightly short
- If you have been familiar with plastic hooks, you will need the practice to use this one effectively
- The hook is not cheap, considering you pay for just one
Learn how to use the Lion Brand Yarn Crochet Hook here:
KeNeer Crochet Hooks
(Perfect for adults)
The concept of the KeNeer crochet hook is perfect for anyone with love for crocheting craft, aluminum made, and handled made from rubber for comfort. The hooks handle fatigue on the wrists, fingers which is one of the most critical factors when you are searching for the perfect crochet hook as a beginner.
The hook comes in different colors, easy identification, and a perfect tool for adults.
- Compact hooks and handles
- Every hook has its color
- Minimizes stress on the wrist
- The hooks are perfect for big and small woolen.
- Item weight – 227 g
- Item Brand – KeNeer
- Model number – 4336922931
- The hook and handle are compact enough not to fall off
- Each hook has its color for easy identification
- The crochet hooks have their sizes marked on them from 2.0 to 8.0mm so that you can pick the right size
- The stitch counter does not fit at the end of the hooks, unlike aluminum
Watch video to learn KeNeer Crochet Hooks basic concepts:
Embroidex 9 Pc Ergonomic Crochet Hooks
(Best ergonomic hook)
One of the best hooks you will find on this list, and it comes with different sizes ranging from 2mm to 6mm. The hooks are color-coded to make the sizes on them visible, and the hooks have a convenient handle that is ergonomic for stress-free crocheting.
The hooks are the best for you if you are working on a budget.
- Top-notch needles made from aluminum
- Color-coded handles
- Perfect sharp needlepoint
- Well-built and durable.
- Item weight – 10.4 ounces
- Item Brand – Embroidex
- Model number – BCAC19151
- Perfect round sharp needlepoint and has smooth knitting
- It is a perfect tool for your relatives to sew or knit
- The hooks are top-notch material and long-lasting
- The crochet hooks can be painful after a while
See video explanation of the Embroidex 9 Pc Ergonomic Crochet Hooks:
BeCraftee Ergonomic Crochet Hook
(Best for advanced crochets)
These hooks are top-notch aluminum with rubber handles to enhance comfort. The handle reduces and removes cramps on the hands, and it is well-built and long-lasting.
The hook tips are smooth and have deep-throat to ensure that the yarn does not slip.
- Its handle minimizes fatigue
- It has a well-built design
- The hook tips are aluminum made
- Brand – BeCraftee
- Weight – 8.8 ounce
- Model number – 4336922718
- The rubber on the handle minimizes stress
- It has its collection of markers, needles and so on
- The hooks come in nine non-identical sizes
- The hook tips are made aluminum made
- The hook can slide off at any moment
Watch BeCraftee Ergonomic Crochet Hook unboxing and reviews video here:
Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook
(Great for beginners)
This hook is inexpensive and has different hooks and sizes from 3.75mm to 6.5mm, and it has a distinctive color that makes it different and easy to locate. The hook has an aluminum hook that removes every contamination that the surface may come in contact with and make it clean.
The hook is long-lasting and will provide smooth results that will not make the yarn snagged. It goes in and out smoothly and has a case to keep hooks securely.
- The hooks are made from aluminum and have a silk coating.
- It enhances fast and smooth crocheting with its inline head
- You can use it on good weight yarns
- You can get the hooks in various sizes
- Brand – Susan B Silvalume
- Model number – 12196.001
- Weight – 1.6 ounces
- The hook is straightforward to use for beginners
- It has a sturdy design
- The hook is affordable
- The paints chips away after sometime
- Yarn can slip off
See practical explanation of Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook here:
LIHAO Crochet Hooks
(Best for universal projects)
The main purpose of this hook is to make sure that crocheting beginners find the right crochet hook for their projects. The hook comes in twenty-two different pieces. It has a handle made of top-notch rubber material for convenience, and it also has an ergonomic design.
Each hooks unit is durable and built with aluminum. It’s comfortable, easy to use, sturdy, and provides accurate results.
You can be very creative with this hook, and there are lots of things you can do with the hook-like making sweaters, hats, and so on.
- The thread slides easily through the hook surface
- It has a well-built design
- Every hook comes with its size
- Brand – LIHAO
- Model number – DGA21
- Weight – 0.64 ounces
- Each hook has sizes inscribed on it
- The hook comes in various colors
- The hook has distinctive colors which makes you find it easily
- It can serve as a gift to individuals with love for crocheting
- The hook is made from durable materials and can last long
- Short handle
Watch video tutorial of the LIHAO Crochet Hooks here:
BCMRUN Multicolor Crochet Hooks
(Perfect for simple projects)
It is one of the most affordable crochet hooks on the list. These hooks are made of aluminum and come in different sizes, from 2mm to 10mm, with visible colors for easy identification. It is excellent for people with minor disabilities to the eyes who cannot read numbers or small letters.
The pack has fourteen hooks you can select from whenever you are on the next project. The crochet hook comes in different colors ranging from red, purple, yellow, and blue, and so on.
- Hooks from size 2mm to 10mm
- Easy identification of hook sizes
- Minimizes wrist pain
- The needles have soft-grip handles
- Multicolor hooks needles
- Item weight – 4.5 ounces
- Item Brand – BCMRUN
- Model number – DGA20
- Its polished hook is excellent for clean crocheting
- It reduces fatigue
- It is the best for people that have arthritic Hands
- Incorrect sizes on the big hooks
Learn how to use the BCMRUN Multicolor Crochet Hooks here:
Athena’s Elements Crochet Hook
(Best for beginners with arthritic hands)
The hook ensures that your hands are free from fatigue or injuries. It has a convenient silicone handle for comfort when you crochet for longer hours. Its needles are aluminum made, and the throat of the hook is a deep one so that it can catch yarns easily.
The hook sizes can range from two to eight millimeters and provides a smooth and clean result on stitches. The hook has twelve different sizes, with distinctive colors for easy identification.
- Standard sizes (USA)
- Lightweight, well-built design and colorful needles
- Smooth hooks and long shaft
- Brand – Athena
- Model number – AE-12USA
- Weight – 9.6 ounces
- It guarantees Satisfaction
- It has its distinctive colors
- Very easy to use and safeguards the hand from injury
- The handle and needle can slip any time
- You cannot use its round hook tip for certain projects
- The crocket hook sizes do not come in letters. Instead, you will find it in metric numbers
Watch Athena’s Elements Crochet Hook review here:
Clover Amour Crochet Hook
(The most comfortable hook)
Everything about this one amazes me, virtually everyone who loves crocheting should have this one. Its grip is soft and brings comfort.
The hook’s aluminum let the yearn glide easily on the shaft while stitching.
The hook comes in different colors, sizes, and each size has a different handle color. The handle colors are for easy identification.
The hook is well-built and long-lasting.
- Bright and radiant crochet hooks
- Its grip handle is soft
- Comes in different sizes from 2 to 6mm
- Brand – Clover
- Model – 3674
- Weight – 118 g
- The hooks are of different sizes that range from 2.25mm to 6.00mm
- Each hook with its distinctive color
- It minimizes stress and helps with fatigue
- The hook’s shape is optimal
- The yarn glides easily
- You can hold it comfortably
- People believe that the hook has a short handle when you compare it to other types of crochet hooks
- Stitches can slip at any time because the hook is not too deep
- If you are not familiar with the pencil grip, you might have little problems with this one
Watch the Clover Amour Crochet Hook tool explanation on samples here:
WooCrafts Large-Eye Needles Crochet Hooks
(The most versatile hook)
The best crochet hooks are versatile and convenient, and this particular hook falls into that category. The crochet hooks grip and handle are perfect for beginners.
The handles are soft and protect the hand from being sore or tired.
The set gives you a total of nine big-eye needles, case, and other things to enhance your craft.
- Nine pieces of big-eye needles
- The sizes range from 2 to 6mm
- The hooks handles are ergonomic
- Brand – WooCrafts
- Model number – 4336922717
- Weight – 6.4 ounces
- You can use the big eye needles to weave in ends and sew things up on your project
- Its ergonomic handles protect the hand from pain and fatigue
- Very easy to use
- The hook has rough spots
Watch video explanation of the WooCrafts Crochet Hooks here:
Tulip Etimo Rose Crochet Hook
(Perfect for professionals)
This particular crochet hook is one of the best around, it is comfortable, and the throat is not too deep. The hook’s tip also keeps the hands fresh and free of fatigue.
The crochet hook’s units are from aluminum for durability. You can pull it in and out of materials as much as you want.
- The handle is a comfortable one
- The tip of the crochet hook is smooth
- It has a well-built design
- Brand – Tulip
- Model number – 71430
- Weight – 8.8 ounces
- The crochet hook has a distinctive pink color
- It has a comfortable handle that you can hold easily
- You will enjoy crocheting for more extended hours comfortably
- The sizes on the hook can disappear after a while
- The sizes are not in letters. Instead, they come in mm
- The yarn can slip off at any time
Watch the Tulip Etimo Rose Crochet Hook product review here:
(The best for shady locations)
It is the best for crochet lovers with terrible eyesight who enjoys working with dark yarns or crocheting in a covered location. The crochet lite hook sheds more light on the project.
The pack comes with nine different hooks with light in various sizes from 2.50-6.50mm. You also get to see your project under the light provided by the hook. You are going to enjoy this one.
- High quality LED Light
- Durable plastic
- High-quality hooks
- Brand – Crochet lite
- Weight – 0.8 ounces
- The hook has a lightweight
- The hook is battery powered, and you can replace the batteries
- The hook sheds light into a shady location
- The battery can drain out easily
- The hook’s light can become too bright
- The yarn cannot glide smoothly on the shaft, unlike the rest
Watch Crochet Lite video practical here:
How to Select the Best Crochet Hook for Beginners
Every starter has to begin from somewhere but, firstly, every hook has a head and body, and the body consists of the thumb rest, handle, throat and shaft.
Meanwhile, the head consists of a groove and lip. Finding a perfect hook for beginners is dependent on the grip, hand, technique, seating, shoulders, and wrists because comfort is essential.
There are lots of things that will help select the right type of crochet hook. Here are a few critical factors to be aware of while selecting hooks for projects as a beginner.
Stay Away From Tunisian Crochet Hooks
Whenever you are out shopping for a new hook as a beginner, if you see crochet hooks with extra-long, double-ended, or hooks that end with plastic wire, they are not for you.
They are specialty hooks used for a particular skill named Tunisian crochet. Do not purchase this item except you are working on that exact project.
Stay Away From Small Steel Crochet Hooks
Also, if you see small crochet hooks with sizes and not the regular letter corresponding with the number, then you should avoid it. Small steel hooks come with sizes like 0, 2, 4, and 6, while large hooks come with sizes like C-2, B-1, and D-3 and so on.
The small hook is for projects involving thread, so you do not need them as a beginner unless you want to crochet with yarn.
Use the Regular Crochet Hooks
When you are a newbie to the crochet world, you will need regular crochet hooks. Regular crochet hooks are medium by size and have one hook at only one end.
Select the Right Type of Hook Material
Seeing lots of options on display can be confusing if you are new to the market, there are lots of options to see, from the bamboo, aluminum to the plastic-type. You might need to experiment with a few, but you will find the right one for you and below are few options of the best.
Utilize metal hooks if you have a strong wrist and want a perfect general-usage hook that can stand the test of time. Aluminum metal hooks are the regular type of metal hooks because they are durable and have a rubber handle to simplify your grip.
You can use plastic hooks if there’s a little pain in your wrist, or you are on a budget.
They are affordable and perfect for beginners who have no desire to stick to a set of the hook at that moment. It is a very light and enjoyable hook.
You can use bamboo hooks if your stitches continue to slip off.
These hooks come at a fair price, but it consists of a beautiful grip that ensures that the yarn does not slip. If your hook is metal or plastic, then you will need the bamboo hooks.
Select the Right Size
Working with a pattern will guide you for the correct type of hook size. But if there is no pattern, the yarn label can help you determine the right size for your project.
Ensure that you purchase the H-8 hook, instead of size 8. The hooks with numbers only are small steel hooks that you should avoid. The letter and number size should be on display on the hook and its package.
Frequently asked questions
For crocheting newbies, Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook is the best for your practices, it is lightweight, long-lasting and comes with well-built design and hooks of different sizes.
But for advanced projects, BeCraftee Ergonomic Crochet Hook is the best choice, it has a high-quality unit of hooks, rubber handles, minimizes stress, and its hook tip is smooth.
To get the best crocheting experience as a beginner, you should select the right crochet hook that is long-lasting and has a sturdy design.
Every product on this list has excellent attributes to enhance projects, brings comfort, and provides good quality.