Crocheting means building patterns through knotting yarn with a hook. Crochet is a method of developing fabrics and materials through the use of a crochet hook to engage the yarn loops, pieces of materials and thread.
The word crochet hook means a small hook. The hook developed from lots of components like wood, plastic, or metal. A crochet hook is used to create loops within yarns or thread and also engage the materials in stitches.
If you are a beginner with crocheting, it is hard to select the best crochets hooks because the hooks are not equal in sizes. The hooks are in different shapes, materials, and sizes, which can make it difficult for a newbie to select. So, this is a guide to help you make the best selection in the crocheting circle.
Things to Look for in Crochet Hooks
The same way you have it in any competitive match, if you want to win a crochet contest or become very good at crocheting, then you need to use the best hook.
There are several factors to observe when shopping for a crochet hook. What does a great crochet hook entail? Here are a few necessary vital qualities to watch out.
The Handle is an Essential Factor
The handle is one of the most critical factors to look out for when searching for the best crochet hook. The hook's handle is the part that will touch your palm, and the handle could be from a different material. It may have a thumb rest and can come in a similar size with the shaft or in an ergonomic shape.
The complication about the ergonomically shaped handle is that the handle might not fit into all grips or every hand. Before you purchase a hook with an ergonomic handle, you should try it first.
Watch out for the Thumb Rest
Another essential factor is the thumb rest, and it is a small section of the hook that your thumb will rest on whenever you want to crochet. If the handle of the hook is ergonomic and has a thumb rest, you will find it together with the handle.
It is not every crochet hook that has a thumb rest, and some do not have it. I enjoy hooks without thumb rests, hooks such as tulip Etimo and Clover.
The Shaft is Essential
The portion from the hook's grip to the head is the shaft, and it is a significant factor to watch out. Some hooks with an enormous shaft make it very easy to develop stitches that need lots of loading, such as the bullion stitch. Few other hooks have a small shaft, and that can make stitches longer.
If your preferred hook handle is ergonomic, you should know that the shaft can cover the handle, or only on the top of the handle. The Addi comfort is an excellent example of a hook with the blended shaft.
The Throat Is Important
You can find only two hook types, the tapered and inline. Whenever you find the Inline hooks, its head has an equal size with the shaft. It looks like it has a cut at the location of the throat and not touching anywhere else on the hook.
The hook's throat has a similar width with the shaft and also narrows remarkably from the front of the hook to the back.
The tapered hooks head sticks out a little bit past the shaft, and the tapering at the throat becomes more. You will find a thin throat, thinner than the shaft.
Watch out for the Head
Anytime you see a hook, watch out for the head, you should consider three factors when looking at the head, the lip, point, and groove. The focus is on the hook's tip. It can be pointy or rounded.
You should select a semi-blunt hook because it is straightforward to utilize. A blunt point makes it difficult to reach your stitches because it is very sharp and most likely will divide the yarn within the hook.
The groove can be round or straight but would choose the rounded one because it can hold the yarn much better. The lip is the part that hooks items. It can be rounded or pointy, but I would prefer the rounded one because a pointy tip will most likely snag on the stitch while you pull it.
While the inline hook's head has a similar size with the shaft, Lip points downward, and the goes steep deep.
List of Recommended Products
If you're a newbie at crocheting, you would require perfect and long-lasting hooks that bring no discomfort to the hand and reduces fatigue. Go through this comprehensive review before you place your order.
- Best Overall: Clover Amour Crochet Hook
"Maximum size of 6.00mm, sturdy and well-built construction, yarn slides easily."
- The most famous and fastest: Clover Soft Touch Hooks
"Amazingly fast, easy to hold, optimal shape, and perfect for making clothes."
- Best for beginners: Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook
"Very easy to use comes in different colors and sizes from 3.75mm to 6.5mm, sturdy design, and longlasting."
- Best industrial hook: Addi Swing
"Plastic handle, European sizes, cheap and structured to give excellent results."
- Best for users with arthritic hands: Athena’s Elements Crochet Hook
"Silicone handle, aluminum hook, and deep hook throat to catch yarns easily."
- Perfect for professionals: Tulip Etimo Rose Crochet Hook
"Cushion support equipped with smooth tips, elasticized comfort handle, and has a sturdy design."
- Best lightweight hook: Lion Brand Yarn 400-5-1907 Crochet Hook
"Easy to use, lightweight, and delivers smooth results, has no rough edges."
- Best for advanced crochets: BeCraftee Ergonomic Crochet Hook
"Top-notch aluminum hook's units with rubber handles decreases fatigue and has smooth hook tips."
- The best for shady locations: Crochet Lite
"Maximum size of 6.50mm, comfortable to use anywhere and shed more light on projects."
- The best for universal projects: LIHAO Aluminum Crochet Hooks
"High-quality rubber handle, each unit with aluminum hooks and very easy to use."
Best Crochet Hook Comparison Chart
If you have limited time and cannot go through the entire review, below is a comparison chart that displays vital features of the best crochet hooks 2020 in a few categorizations.
|Best Crochet Hooks||Material||Dimension||Weight|
|Clover Amour Crochet Hook||Metal, plastic||7.5 x 1.1 x 4 inches||118 g|
|Clover Soft Touch Hooks||Aluminum||Dimensions - 1.6 x 0.3 x 7.3 inches||1.6 ounces|
|Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook||Aluminum||Dimensions - 0.8 x 0.9 x 7.5 inches||0.48 ounces|
|Addi Swing crochet hooks||Steel||Dimensions - 1.3 x 0.2 x 6.7 inches||0.8 ounces|
|Athena’s Elements Crochet Hook||Ergonomic ThermoPlastic Rubber||Dimension - 7 x 5 x 1.5 inches||9.6 ounces|
|Tulip Etimo Rose Crochet Hook||Dimensions - 10.8 x 9.3 inches||8.8 ounces|
|Lion Brand Yarn 400-5-1907 Crochet Hook||Plastic||Dimension - 9.26" h x 1.89" w x 3.74" l, .5 pounds||0.8 ounces|
|BeCraftee Ergonomic Crochet Hook||Aluminum||Dimension - 10.7 x 0.8 x 8.2 inches||8.8 ounces|
|Crochet Lite||Metal||9 x 0.7 x 2 inches||0.8 ounces|
|LIHAO Aluminum Crochet Hooks||Aluminum||Dimension: 7.5 x 0.8 x 5.5 inches||0.64 ounces|
Best Crochet Hooks Reviews 2020
Lots of young people are starting to develop a hobby and showcase their imaginative and creative talents by developing amazing designs. Now that you know the things to look out for any time you want to purchase a new crochet hook, here are my few best crochets:
Clover Amour Crochet Hook
I love everything about this great hook, and you can easily find it with the lovers of crochets. It has a very soft grip, which makes the utilization much more convenient. The hook comes with an aluminum, and it let the yarn slide smoothly over the shaft anytime you perform any stitching.
You can find the hook in several sizes, vibrant colors, and every size comes with a particular handle color. With the specific handle color, you can easily identify which hook you utilized on previous projects with absolutely no effort.
The hook has a sturdy design and well-built construction to make sure that it can span for years and best for people with arthritis problems.
- The crochet hooks are bright and radiant
- Very soft-grip handle
- Set sizes range from 2 to 6mm
- Brand - Clover
- Model - 3674
- Weight - 118 g
- The hook comes in several sizes, and they can range from 2.25mm to 6.00mm in diameter
- Every hook has its color to help you distinguish it
- It has a very soft handle with rubberized silicone which helps you with fatigue
- The hook has an optimal shape
- A clear plastic bag packs the hook which helps you transport and stores it easily
- Its yarn slides with ease
- You can grip it conveniently
- Few users think that the hook and its handle is short compared to other crochet hooks
- The hook is not very deep, and your stitches can shift from time to time
- The handle is only perfect for users that enjoy the pencil grip
Clover Soft Touch Hooks
The shape of the hook’s handle makes its utilization very convenient. It also has a smooth shaft, which makes the hook fast. You can use it for tight stitches.
The hook also comes with optimal shape to make your crochet projects smooth and easy to execute. Its handle is correct ergonomically with its rubber cushion and its oval shape. The hook is aluminum made while its handle is from ABS resin.
- Soft crochet hook handle
- Aluminum made, and the handle is ABS Resin made
- Available in different sizes
- Brand - Clover
- Model number - 1004/D
- Weight - 1.6 ounces
- The hook has a very convenient grip
- It makes hooking very smooth
- You can manipulate the hook quickly when you hold it
- The hook and handle is short
- It might be tough to utilize when you work on unique designs that require loops on the hook
- The small hook has small handles
Susan Bates Silvalume Crochet Hook
This crochet hook is affordable and has six different light aluminum hooks with different sizes ranging from 3.75mm to 6.5mm. Every hook has its unique color makes it easy to find. It's aluminum hook eradicates every surface contamination and in turn, makes the surface very clean.
The hook has the strength and is durable and polished to give a silky smooth result that makes sure that the yarn does not snag. It slides smoothly and great at yarn catches and also has a vinyl case to store hooks securely.
- Aluminum-made hooks with slick silicon coating
- Its in-line head aids smooth and fast crocheting
- Used on good quality weight yarns
- Comes in different sizes
- Brand - Susan B Silvalume
- Model number - SBT12291-I
- Weight - 0.48 ounces
- The hook is straightforward to use for users at the beginner’s level.
- It is a well-built equipment
- The crochet hook comes at a low price
- You can place the thumb rest at the back of the hook
- Paint chips away
- The yarn can get caught
It pretty handles relaxes easily into your hand while the hook slides into every stitch. With this equipment, your fingers are safe from being cramped. Its steel coated, the tapered and rounded head makes the hook one of the best you can find around for crochet stitches.
It also has a plastic handle, and the plastic comes in two forms. One is white, and the second is soft and a bit with colors. It is structured to fit when you hold it and gives you better results. The hook utilizes European sizes, and their conversion to the United States sizes can be different.
- Comfortable grip hook
- Different color handles
- It’s best for ergonomic hook seekers
- Length of 6 inches.
- Brand - Addi Swing
- Model number - 148-7 5
- Weight - 0.8 ounces
- Its handle is convenient and very easy to use
- It is a piece of excellent equipment for a knife grip crochet
- It gives an enthralling crocheting experience
- If you have been accustomed to the pencil grip then using this hook can be a little bit tough
- It would help if you had a little bit of practice to get going well with this hook
- The hook comes at a high price
Athena’s Elements Crochet Hook
With this equipment, your hands can now be free from injuries or from being tired. With a comfortable, light silicone handle, you will get unprecedented convenience while crocheting for a long time.
It has needles that are made from aluminum and shafts from small sizes to let extra yarn loops. It comes in a set with twelve separate sizes with unique colors to allow you to identify every one of them.
The throat of the hook is deep, and it catches yarns quickly. The sizes of the hook are standard and can range from two to eight millimeters. It gives clean, smooth, and flat results on the stitches.
- United States standard sizes
- • Sturdy design, lightweight and colorful needles
- • Smooth hooks
- Brand - Athena
- Model number - AE-12USA
- Weight - 9.6 ounces
- The crochet hook guarantees a hundred percent Satisfaction
- It has unique colors
- It is easy to hold the handle
- The handle can slip away from the needle
- The hook’s tip is round, and you cannot use it for specific projects
- Sizes come in metric numbers instead of letters on the hook
Tulip Etimo Rose Crochet Hook
If you have been pondering about which crochet hook will be the most comfortable for you, then here is your choice. The hook' throat is not a very deep one, so you should be watchful of the yarn from slip offs.
The tip of the hook is smooth, and it’s easy to hold shape keeps the hand fresh and far from being tired.
It also has cushion support equipped with smooth tips that the palm of your hands will cherish. One significant advantage of utilizing this hook is its elasticized comfort handle.
All of its units came from aluminum construction for hooking and durability. It is very convenient to hook and pull through as much as you want.
- Comfortable handle
- Smooth hook tip
- Sturdy design
- Brand - Tulip
- Model number – 71430
- Weight - 8.8 ounces
- The Tulip crochet hook comes in a lovely pink color
- It has a convenient and easy to hold the handle
- It gives the user a fantastic crochet hooking experience
- The sizes that you will find on the hooks are only stickers, and after a while, they will disappear
- You will see the sizes on display in mm instead of letters which is easy to understand
- You will find the word “Japan” on the handle, it is there so that your fingers can rub it off
Lion Brand Yarn 400-5-1907 Crochet Hook
Utilizing this equipment means that you are performing the crochet hooking with a large hook. The hook is Q-sized delivers better when you need a lightweight and smooth result from a project. The hook is made from plastic and has no rough edges that will affect the hands or bother the yarn.
- Convenient plastic hooks
- Less discomfort to the hand
- Plastic made
- Brand - Lion Brand Yarn
- Model number - 400-5-1907
- Weight - 0.8 ounces
- The hook has a lightweight
- It has a smooth look
- It is a well-made hook that will make crocheting much easy for you
- The hook come at a slightly high price considering it for just one
- If you are used to the plastic hooks, then you might not enjoy this hook until you go through few practices
- The hand is a little bit short
BeCraftee Ergonomic Crochet Hook
The hook's units are top-notch aluminum with rubber handles to increase the comfort of holding it. The rubber handle that it entails minimize and eradicate arthritis and any cramp on your fingers and hands. The hook is also well-built, which makes its usage stand the test of time.
The tips of the hook are smooth with deep throat to make sure that the crochet yarn does not snag or slip. It puts the cotton yarn in its position and gives lovely stitching outputs.
- Its rubber handle reduces stress
- Sturdy design
- Aluminum hook tips
- Brand - BeCraftee
- Model number - 4336922718
- Weight - 8.8 ounces
- The soft rubber that you will find on the handle decreases fatigue
- It comes with its own set of needles, stitches markers and so on
- You can find the hook in nine different sizes
- The hook has a smooth aluminum tips
- The hook can glide off anytime
If you have a terrible sight of the eyes and you are the type that loves to work with dark yarns, or you prefer to crochet in a shady location, the perfect hook needed is the crochet lite because it will shed more light into the work.
This particular type of hooks has nine separate hooks that have light and in different sizes ranging from 2.50-6.50mm. It is very comfortable to use, and you can use it anywhere either by sitting in your car or anywhere else that has little or no lighting.
The hook also lets you see the stitches if you utilize the yarns with dark colors. It gives the best crocheting experience.
- Top-notch LED Light
- Long-lasting plastic
- Top-quality hooks
- Brand - Crochet lite
- Weight - 0.8 ounces
- The hook is light in weight
- One of the best attributes of this hook is the replaceable batteries
- It has a beautiful handle grip
- The hook increases the light in a dark location
- The hook’s battery can run out quickly
- The light that the hook provides can be too bright sometimes
- The yarn does not slide smoothly while on the shaft compared to the rest
LIHAO Aluminum Crochet Hooks
The principal purpose of this hook is to ensure top-notch crochet hooks that meet the different needs of the customer. The hook comes in different sets of twenty-two pieces. The handle is made of high-quality rubber material to improve comfort, and its design is ergonomic.
Every unit of the hook builds with aluminum for great hooking and the ability to stand the test of time. It is one of the best crochet hooks you will find around, very easy to use, convenient, and unique.
The hook is well-built and guarantees a perfect result and gauge accuracy. You can use the hook to create fabulous hats, sweaters, mittens, and the likes.
- The yarns and thread slide through the hook surface with ease
- Sturdy design
- Each hook with its size
- Brand - LIHAO
- Weight - 0.64 ounces
- Model number - DGA21
- Every single hook in the pack has its size written on it for easy identification
- You can get the hook in different colors
- Its unique colors also make it very easy to find, and each has its distinctive color
- I think it is a perfect gift to women who loves crocheting
- Made with long-lasting materials to stand the test of time
- The hook has a short handle
Frequently asked questions
To the crocheting beginners, I recommend Clover Amour Crochet Hook for your crocheting practices, the hook is very bright and radiant and can stand the test of time.
But for advanced projects, I would recommend BeCraftee Ergonomic Crochet Hook. It is made of top-quality aluminum and has rubber handles to reduce fatigue.
If you want to enjoy the act of crocheting, then you need to make the right choice of the hook set that is well-built and durable. All of the above products have amazing features to make the project faster, comfortable, and enthralling.