Ergonomic crochet hooks are truly a godsend for crocheting enthusiasts like me. While crocheting is safer in general than other hobbies like jousting, it comes with a few dangers. Depending on your lifestyle, genetic disposition, and crochet style, crocheting for an extended period can eventually result in hand or wrist pain. And that is why you need to buy one of these ergonomic crochet hooks.
So, are ergonomic crochet hooks worth it? The truth is, these tools are essentially engineered to help crochet hobbyists who experience pain as they crochet. With their functional hooks and enlarged handles, they offer a better and more comfortable grip to users, ultimate reducing the pain often associated with crafting yarn.
People with repetitive stress injuries, tendonitis, arthritis, and other similar issues greatly benefit from investing in ergonomic crochet hooks.
And, just like a tight boxing competition, the best and most effective way to excel and win is to use a solid hook. But, choosing the best ergonomic crochet hook from millions on today’s market isn’t exactly a walk in the park.
Thankfully, I have tons of tips and hints to help you make ergonomic crochet hook shopping experience a breeze and painless. Whether you are a crochet newbie or an experienced hobbyist, these tips surely come in handy, the next time you buy crochet hooks for your projects.
- The Ergonomic Crochet Hook Anatomy
- Best Ergonomic Crochet Hooks 2020 Comparison Chart
- What is The Best Ergonomic Crochet Hooks to Buy?
- Best Ergonomic Crochet Hook Reviews 2020
- Clover Armour Crochet Hook Set
- Lion Brand Crochet Hook
- Beecraftee Best Crochet Hook Set
- Addi Comfort Crochet Hook
- Addi Crochet Hook Swing
- Mayboos Crochet Hooks Set
- Susan Bates Crochet Hook set
- Athena’s Elements Crochet Hooks
- Tulip Etimo Ergonomic Crochet Hooks
- CHIAOGOO Ergonomic Crochet Hook
- Hamanaka Crochet Hook Set
- Cornerstone Ergonomic Crochet Hook Set
- Types of Crochet Hooks
- Our Top Pick
The Ergonomic Crochet Hook Anatomy
Before I begin revealing my top ergonomic crochet hooks, let us take a closer look at the anatomy of these tools. Basically, each crochet hook is made of a head and a body. The head has a lip, groove, and a point, which is usually referred to as a tip. The body, meanwhile, consists of throat, shaft, thumb rest, and handle.
Take a look at these parts so that you can use your ergonomic crochet hooks effectively. Of course, it will also help you score the best ergonomic crochet hooks for your project.
There are three things you probably need to take into consideration when looking at the hook’s head: lip, groove, and point. The point is the hook’s very tip. It may range from sharp and pointy to rounded and blunt. The most comfortable ergonomic crochet hook you can work with is a semi-blunt one. If your hook point is exceptionally sharp, it likely will split the yarn while you are inserting your hook.
If the point of your hook is too blunt, it is going to make it hard for you to get into the stitches.
The lip is practically the crochet hook’s actual hook aspect. I normally find rounded lips better than its pointy counterparts since point tones tend to snag on your stitches when you pull through.
The groove, meanwhile, is either rounded or straight. I personally prefer the rounded one because it holds my yarn a little better.
While the head is the actual hook that catch the yarn, the throat is the functional shaped section below it. The throat’s main function is to guide your thread up to the hook. A tapered crochet hook sports a rounded head and is not in line with the other parts of the hook. An inline hook, on the other hand, has a flatter throat as well as a deeper pointed crochet hook that is basically in line with the whole tool.
Both options are great, but it all comes down to your personal preferences.
The shaft is assembled between the handle and head. Its main purpose is to help determine the size of the hook as well as how large the finished product will be. The H8/5.00MM, for instance, means that the hook shaft is precisely 5 millimeters in diameter.
By the way, always look for an ergonomic crochet hook with a generous shaft since it makes it easier to create stitches that need a ton of loading.
It is where you put and rest your thumb on the hook as you crochet. Not every crochet hook, however, has a thumb rest. To make your crocheting experience painless, look for ergonomic crochet hooks with a thumb rest.
If you have a pencil or knife grip, the handle is wherein you can rest in your palm. It can be a continuation of the hook shaft or made from a totally different material. It may or may not feature a thumb rest. Additionally, it can either ergonomically shaped or be the same size as the hook shaft.
Best Ergonomic Crochet Hooks 2020 Comparison Chart
Need some help in picking the best ergonomic crochet hooks for your projects? Want to know what are the best crochet hooks? Then, spend a moment reading these suggestions and hints!
|Crochet hook name||Dimensions||Weight||Number of hooks available|
|Clover Armour Crochet Hook Set - Best overall||5.5 by 4.2 by 1 inches||3.36 ounces||10|
|Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Best for beginners||3.7 by 1.9 by 9.3 inches||0.8 ounces||1|
|Beecraftee Best Crochet Hook Set - Best for experts||5.3 by 1 by 6.7 inches||14.4 ounces||9|
|Addi Comfort Crochet Hook - Most comfortable grip||1.3 by 0.2 by 6.7 inches||0.8 ounces||1|
|Addi Crochet Hook Swing - Best in design||2.4 by 0.1 by 8.4 inches||1.6 ounces||1|
|Mayboos Crochet Hooks Set - Most Versatile||8.8 by 2.7 by 1.1 inches||13.6 ounces||72 possible combinations|
|Susan Bates Crochet Hook set - Budget Pick||7.2 by 3.5 by 0.2 inches||1.6 ounces||6|
|Athena’s Elements Crochet Hooks||10.8 by 8 by 0.6 inches||8 ounces||12|
|Tulip Etimo Ergonomic Crochet Hooks - Best in style||10.8 by 9.3 inches||8.8 ounces||10|
|CHIAOGOO Ergonomic Crochet Hook||0.2 by 1.5 by 8.3 inches||1.44 ounces||1|
|Hamanaka Crochet Hook Set||3.1 by 2.9 by 0.4 inches||0.64 ounces||4|
|Cornerstone Ergonomic Crochet Hook Set||9.5 by 9 by 0.5 inches||9.9 ounces||9|
What is The Best Ergonomic Crochet Hooks to Buy?
Looking for the best ergonomic crochet hooks that fit perfectly to your preferences, budget, and style? Check out these options and find the best ergonomic crochet hook for your hobby.
- Best overall: Clover Armour Crochet Hook Set
Colorful and incredibly comfortable, this hook set impresses users with its tireless functionality and soft comfortable grip!
- Best for beginners: Lion Brand Crochet Hook
Not only is it light in weight and comfy, but it’s also very functional and easy to use, even for a newbie.
- Best for experts: Beecraftee Best Crochet Hook Set
With a plethora of sizes an options available, Beefcraft is easily the best crochet hook set for the experienced hobbyist.
- Most comfortable grip: Addi Comfort Crochet Hook
Known for its ergonomic design, this premium quality hook makes crocheting painless and supremely fun and pleasurable.
- Best in design: Addi Crochet Hook Swing
Engineered into perfection, this ergonomic crochet hooks boasts an extraordinary design to make crocheting efficient and easy.
- Most Versatile: Mayboos Crochet Hooks Set
With over 50 combinations available, the functions and crocheting purposes for this hook set are seemingly infinite.
- Budget Pick: Susan Bates Crochet Hook set
Available in different sizes, these inexpensive hooks will make your crocheting adventures faster and more pleasant.
- Best in style: Tulip Etimo Ergonomic Crochet Hooks
Add more flair and style to your crochet experience with ultra fashionable, chic and girly ergonomic crochet hooks.
Best Ergonomic Crochet Hook Reviews 2020
Clover Armour Crochet Hook Set
There is no ergonomic crochet hook set quite like Clover Armour. With its comfortable feel, durability and incredible features, it is easy to see why it is a favorite among crochet hobbyist.
It comes with an aluminum hook that lets the yarn glide smoothly over the shaft as you are stitching. In addition, it boasts an easy and soft grip that is comfortable to use and feels so warm in your hands.
The hooks in this set are available in different sizes. And, each hook size has particular color for its handle, allowing you to easily remember which hook you should be using for a specific project.
- Optimal shape for its hook
- Easy and comfy grip handles
- Fun and bright colors
- Grip is extremely comfortable
- Yarn smoothly slides
- Yarn does not catch or snap, thanks to rounded-like tapered hook
- The handle is ideal for crochet hobbyist who use the pencil grip
- Stitches might too easily slide off since the hook is not very deep
This cool video also contains honest reviews of these colorful crochet hooks!
Lion Brand Crochet Hook
(Best for beginners)
If you prefer a tool that is lightweight and smooth, then you will surely love this crochet hook. Made completely out of premium quality plastic, this ergonomic hook will not snag your yarn or bother your hands because it does not have any rough edges or seams.
Still a newbie in crocheting? You will definitely love this ergonomic crochet hook as it makes it a whole lot easier for you to count the chain stitches. To make things even better, it is so easy to see what you are doing with this tool.
- Comfortable to use
- It is more comfortable on your hand compared to its aluminum counterparts
- Finely made and durable
- Hooking is smooth
- Portable and lightweight
- Soft and comfortable grip
- A bit expensive for a single hook
- Not an excellent option for people who do not like plastic
- Handle might be rather short for some users
Are you a newbie on the lookout for tips when it comes to using these books? You will certainly love this video.
Beecraftee Best Crochet Hook Set
(Best for experts)
They do not call the Beecraftee as one of the best ergonomic crochet hooks for nothing. The set, after all, contains around 31 crocheting tools, including a stitch marker, knitting markers and sewing needles. Plus, the needles have soft rubber handles that will prevent unwanted cramps and arthritis in your hands.
With its deep hook throat and smooth silky aluminum, the tool can prevent your crochet yarn from snagging or slipping. Also, you can carry all of these tools with ease because they come in one package. With 9 sizes of hook at your disposal, you can create any pattern or style for your crochet projects.
- Comfortable to use
- Amazingly smooth loops
- Portable and ideal for travel
- Cozy and painless
- 9 different sizes for hook
- It has 31 handy tools
- Has comfortable and soft rubber handles
- Handles are a bit thin
- There are rough spots on some hooks
Check out this video tutorial to know more about crocheting.
Addi Comfort Crochet Hook
(Most comfortable grip)
The Addi Comfort Crochet Hook can be very beneficial for you in several ways. For one, it is a more economical alternative to the well-known Addi swing. Moreover, it has a rounded handle, meaning it is perfect for pencil grip and knife grip crochet hobbyists.
And like all crafting tools from ADDI, this one is made to perfection. With the Addi Comfort Crochet Hook, it is easy to create stitches consistently. Additionally, it does not tire your hands because of its perfectly sized hand grip.
And, did I mention that it is absolutely durable?
- Comfortable grip
- Handles are color coded to make things more organized
- Perfect length
- Ideal for pencil grip and knife grip users.
- Grip is soft and comfortable
- Hook is smooth when you are crocheting
- May be fairly difficult to maneuver for precise stitches like clusters because of its width
- Some might find it heavy
Master the art of crocheting by heeding the tips in this video.
Addi Crochet Hook Swing
(Best in design)
This nickel steel coated hook has a more rounded and tapered head with a high quality plastic handle. It, however, is not as simple as it may seem. Actually, the handle is consisted of a couple of plastic materials. One plastic is firm and white while the other is soft and comfortable.
And, when these materials are combined, it creates a rather flexible and comfortable handle to make crocheting less painful in your hands. It is designed specifically to perfectly fit in your hand and it, no doubt, delivers.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Handle has a perfect ergonomic design
- Designed and made in Germany
- Crocheting is easy with its unique features and designs
- Ideal for knife grip users
- Handle is extremely comfy
- Expensive compared to other top ergonomic crochet hooks
- Make take a little practice to use it effectively
- It is not ideal for pencil grip users
Check out this video review about Addi Swing:
Mayboos Crochet Hooks Set
Looking for a complete crochet hook set? The Mayboos Crochet Hooks Set, hands down, has everything you need for your projects. It is a brilliant and impressive full set of crochet tools all nicely grouped and wrapped in one sturdy case.
Not to mention, the gauge ruler, tapestry needles, markers and stitch holders are quite handy crocheting essentials. Plus, the ergonomic crochet hooks are durable and comfortable. You will not feel any pain using this crochet set, making your crocheting experience more pleasant and painless.
Whether consider yourself a newbie or an expert, this set will level up your crocheting game.
- Has 72 pieces of crocheting essentials
- Durable and premium quality made with the finest colored aluminum, steel and rubber
- Over 30 handle ergonomic crochet hooks
- Size is perfect
- Color coded
- Has a wide and easy to grip handle
- Great for chunky yarn
- Aluminum hooks easily slide off your hand
- Some users might find the handles somewhat short
Discover the other essentials and tools in crocheting in this video.
Susan Bates Crochet Hook set
With its lightweight aluminum material, this hook set is perfect for those who are looking for portable and light ergonomic crochet hooks. Even better, it boasts an inline head that gasps easily the yarn as you are crocheting.
Although this kind of crochet hook tends to catch your yarn, it does smoothly glide. And, it is excellent at catching your yarn and allowing you to catch your yarn and pull it through is stitches.
The handles are color coded too. Every handle size has a particular color, meaning you can tell easily which crochet hook to use for your project.
- Has a lightweight aluminum material
- Every crochet hook is treated for durability and strength
- Has six hooks in different sizes
- Ideal for crochet beginners
- Easy to organize with its different hook colors
- Yarns get caught often
- Paint chips quickly
- Thumb rest would have been better if it was placed back further
Check out this review about Susan Bates crochet hook set!
Athena’s Elements Crochet Hooks
With its ergonomic and soft hand, these crochet hooks are a terrific choice for those who crochet for hours nonstop. Moreover, they are color coded, making it easy for you to find the right crochet hook for a particular task.
Of course, these hooks are designed carefully and built into perfection. The handle of each hook is made out of superior quality Thermoplastic Rubber. In addition, the hook is made out of top quality aluminum.
Excellent materials aside, these crochet hooks are also a little longer, allowing you to craft a multitude of shaft loops. Since there is no rough edge, the yarn will get snagged.
And, if ever you are not happy with the ergonomic crochet hooks, you can always get your money back.
- Fun colors
- Lightweight and non-slip
- Gripping the hook handle is quite easy
- Hooks are color coded
- Comfortable grip
- The hook tip may seem rather rounded for detailed work
- Handle slips from the needles sometimes
See a detailed overview of this product in this video.
Tulip Etimo Ergonomic Crochet Hooks
(Best in style)
Want a more girlish and stylish set of ergonomic crochet hooks? Trust me, you will the Tulip Etimo Crochet Hook set. With its lovely pink shades, this hook set may even add flair and style to your crocheting arsenal.
And, it’s feels absolutely comfortable in your hands, whether you are a knife grip or pencil grip crochet user. In addition, the aluminum of the hook is so smooth that your yarn will just glide on.
The hook’s throat is not very deep, though. So, you might have a few problems with your yarn constantly slipping off.
- Has a soft and easy grip
- Easy on the eyes
- Smooth surface
- Hooking is smooth
- Grip is comfortable and easy
- Eye-catching pink colors
- Packaged neatly and conveniently
- Hook size labels are not permanently marked (stickers)
- The embossed word “Japan” may bother some people when they are crocheting
- Slightly expensive compared to other sets
Here is a wondrous video review of this crochet hook.
CHIAOGOO Ergonomic Crochet Hook
CHIAOGOO Ergonomic Crochet Hook is a sure-fire bet when working with bulky yarns. While not a popular choice among hobbyists, it is indeed one of the best ergonomic crochet hooks. With its deep tapered hook, this bamboo-made ergonomic crochet hook can, with ease, handle thick yarn.
And, the tip of the hook is pointed perfectly to push through any thick material with barely any effort. The wood is wondrously smooth, preventing your fingers from being chafed and the yarn from being snagged.
- Natural, organic all bamboo ergonomic crochet hooks
- It has a tapered hook featuring a perfectly place hold for ultimate comfortable
- Smooth and soft on the hands
- Handy and very light
- It feels better than plastic
- Hooking is smooth
- Lightweight and portable
- It is on the costly side
- Manufactured in China
- Some find the crochet hook to be extra slippery and smooth
Here is a video of the ChiaGoo brand!
Hamanaka Crochet Hook Set
I absolutely love these crochet hooks! They are so ergonomic without being super bulky. The hook head’s shape and throat have a clover shape, and they have a comfy length.
They are lightweight and do not take up a great deal of room as well. As a matter of fact, I, for the most, bring this set whenever I travel. As for the grip, it is for sure comfortable and crocheting with them is a fantastic experience.
I really like the fact that I have a decent variety of sizes, but only need five hooks to bring. To top of it all, the quality is simply second to none, especially since they are all made from Japan.
- Made in Japan
- Ergonomic handle
- Handy and comfortable
- Easy on the eyes
- Sizes are not labeled in the typical American or European gauges
- No conversion table for the sizes
Check out these amazing crocheting tips and hacks.
Cornerstone Ergonomic Crochet Hook Set
Prefer to work with darker yarns? Love to crochet in the dark? Is your eyesight terrible?
If yes is the answer to these questions, then you are going to need a crochet hook that will literally light up your crocheting work. And, there is no better hook for that than the Crochet Lite.
Each crochet hook in this package has its own battery installed, meaning there is no need for you to switch it out as you change the hooks. Additionally, it has replaceable batteries, so you do not have to worry about buying a new crochet hook whenever the juice runs out.
- Provides light when you are crocheting
- Excellent grip
- Batteries are replaceable
- Soft and easy on the hands
- Batteries of the hook pretty quickly die out
- Some might find the light of the hook too bright
- Yarn does not glide smoothly compared to the other top ergonomic crochet hooks in 2020
Heed these tips to make your crocheting experience painless and more relaxing.
Types of Crochet Hooks
There are different types of ergonomic crochet hooks available on the market today. Check out the information below, and find out which one is best for you.
- Knook Hook – It is a long crochet hook with a hole in one of it ends. The yarn with this hook can be threaded in its hole, so you can create stitches that look quite like knitting.
- Tunisian Hook – It is also referred to as cro hook and is a whole lot longer than the typical crochet hook. In fact, some of these hooks have a hook on their end. They look somewhat like knitting needles, and allow you to keep your stitches on its hook while working on the fabric.
- Plastic Hook – It is available in an array of sizes, including some rather large ones. It is a perfect hook if you are working on some broomstick lace or with a bulky yarn. The hooks are lightweight and comfortable as they are made of hollow plastic.
- Aluminum Crochet Hook – It is a popular choice among newbies since the yarn smoothly slides over the shaft, allowing you to crochet quickly and easily.
- Steel Crochet Hook – It has the smallest sizes of hook and is designed specifically for crocheting fine threads.
- Bamboo Crochet Hook – It feels good in your hand and is lightweight. It is also pretty affordable and is available in a range of sizes, except for the jump size and smallest size.
Our Top Pick
Crocheting, according to recent research and studies, can greatly improve your mood and mental health. Of course, it is also a nice hobby and a great way to relax. But, you need to invest in a top-notch and quality ergonomic crochet hook to make it even more pleasant.
So, avoid making the fatal mistake of buying the first thing that you come across. Spend some time checking out the key features as well as the pros and cons of every product.
And, if you are looking for a sure-fire solution, select the Clover Armour Crochet Hook Set. For years, this hook set has been beloved by crocheting enthusiasts for its comfortable ergonomic grip and incredible features. More than that, it makes crocheting so much easier and more efficient.
And, with a range of sizes available on the set, you will find a hook that best suits your project and skill level in crocheting.