In the hand knitting world, knitting needle is the tool used to create knitted fabrics and materials. The needles have a long shaft and taper for different purposes. The shaft holds the unsecured fabric stitches so that it does not fall apart while the tapered end creates new stitches.
Knitting is a process where-by the yarn goes through manipulation to produce fabrics or textiles, and you can perform the task with a machine or by hand.
The primary importance of the interchangeable needles is that it lets you produce circular knitting needles of any size that you desire. To do that, you need to strike a balance between flexibility and durability to avoid excessive designing of a product or awkward knitting.
However, this guide keeps you informed about interchangeable knitting needles and how to make the right selection when you want to choose needles for projects.
- The Comparison Chart 2020
- What is The Best Interchangeable Knitting Needles?
- Best Interchangeable Knitting Needles Reviews 2020
- Hiya Hiya Interchangeable Sharp Steel Knitting Needle Set
- CHIAOGOO Twist Interchangeable Set
- Addi Interchangeable Needle
- Lykke Indigo Interchangeable Needle Set
- Knitters Pride Interchangeable Needle Set
- CLOVER Interchangeable Needles Takumi Combo Set
- Denise Interchangeable Blue Kit Bright’s
- Knit Double-Pointed Wood Knitting Needle Set
- Boye Needle master Interchangeable Knitting Set
- Ostart Double Knitting Set
- LIHAO 36 PCS Bamboo Knitting Needles Set
- Knit Picks Interchangeable Needles Set
- How to Choose the Best Interchangeable Knitting Needles
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Comparison Chart 2020
|Hiya Hiya Interchangeable Sharp Steel Knitting Needle Set - Best Overall||stainless steel||7.3 x 0.8 x 7.4 inches||2.4 ounces|
|CHIAOGOO 7400-C Twist Tip Interchangeable Complete Set, 4-Inch - Best for universal projects||stainless steel||10 x 1 x 6.5 inches||8.8 ounces|
|Addi Standard Rocket Interchangeable Knitting Needles - Best for experienced knitters||White bronze||8 x 4 x 0.2 inches||13.3 ounces|
|Lykke Indigo Driftwood Interchangeable Gift Set in Indigo Denim Pouch - Best for beginners||Strong birch wood||9.4 x 7.4 x 1.6 inches||14.7 ounces|
|Knitters Pride Dreamz Deluxe Interchangeable Needle Set - Best for every knitter||7 x 11 x 1 inches||1.92 ounces|
|Clover “Takumi Combo” Interchangeable Knitting Needles - Perfect for professionals||TAKUMI bamboo||10.8 x 6.9 x 1.2 inches||0.96 ounces|
|Denise Interchangeable Blue Kit Brights - Perfect for simple projects||stainless steel||1.2 x 7 x 9.5 inches||12 ounces|
|Knit Double-Pointed Wood Knitting Needle Set - Perfect for dark yarns||Wood||4.8 x 4.5 x 0.6 inches||0.32 ounces|
|Boye Needlemaster 40-Piece - The best for making stitch holders||Metal||13 x 10.1 x 1.5 inch||1.05 pounds|
|Ostart Double Pointed Bamboo Knitting Set - The most versatile hook||Bamboo||7.9 x 0.4 x 0.4 inches||7.2 ounces|
|LIHAO 36 PCS Bamboo Knitting Needles Set - Great for intermediate knitters||Banboo||0.6 x 0.2 x 2.5 inches||4.8 ounces|
|Knit Picks Options Square Wood Interchangeable Knitting Needles Set - The best for general use||birchwood||9 x 0.5 x 7 inches||5.6 ounces|
What is The Best Interchangeable Knitting Needles?
Whenever you need the best interchangeable needle for projects, there are lots of available options to select from, but choosing the right one is complicated. The review below will give you good insight before you make your selection.
- Best Overall: Hiya Hiya Interchangeable Sharp Steel Knitting Needle Set
“Stainless steel, easy to use cable connectors, a brocade case to hold all items, and thirteen Sharp tips with sizes 2-15.”
- Best for universal projects: CHIAOGOO 7400-C Twist Tip Interchangeable Complete Set, 4-Inch
“Fast, switchable cables and accessories pointed tip and has a lifeline hole.”
- Best for experienced knitters: Addi Click Standard Interchangeable Knitting Needle
“Straightforward to use, sharp points and long taper, and excellent for handling weight yarns and lace.”
- Best for beginners: Lykke Indigo Driftwood Interchangeable
“Easy to use, lightweight, and eco-friendly.”
- Best for every knitter: Knitters Pride Dreamz Deluxe Interchangeable Needle Set
“Very easy to use, silent while knitting, color-coded sizes, and have their sizes on them.”
- Perfect for professionals: CLOVER 3683 Interchangeable Circular Knitting Needles Takumi Combo Set
“Smooth needle tip, sizes range from 3 to 15, and easy to use flexible cable.”
- Perfect for simple projects: Denise Needles Denise Interchangeable Knitting Needles Kit, Blue Bright’s
“Easy to use, twist, and turn easily to add, plastic needle tips with different colors.”
- Perfect for dark yarns: Knit Picks Double Pointed Wood Knitting Needle Set
“Easy to use, flexible, comes with needles of the same size, and sharp tapered points at each end.”
- The best for making stitch holders: Boye Needle Master Interchangeable Needle
“Flexible cables, metal knitting Needles with distinctive colors, and a red faux leather case.”
- The most versatile hook: Ostart Double Pointed Bamboo Knitting Set
“Come with five sets of fifteen sizes, versatile, lightweight, and lovely smooth feel.”
- Great for intermediate knitters: LIHAO 36 PCS Bamboo Knitting Needles Set
“Very smooth and light, large range of size, and size range from 2 to 10mm.”
- The best for general use: Knit Picks Options Square Wood Interchangeable Knitting Needles Set
“Comes in nine pairs with sizes from 3.5 to 8mm, flexible cables and vinyl case with snap-shut closure.”
Best Interchangeable Knitting Needles Reviews 2020
The knitting game has evolved a lot with knitting needles. A good number of people who enjoy hand knitting know the double-pointed, straight, and circular needles but the interchangeable needles changed the game.
As a newbie or an expert, you now know the important factors to check out while looking for the best interchangeable needles for your projects. Here are the best interchangeable needles that definitely work for you:
Hiya Hiya Interchangeable Sharp Steel Knitting Needle Set
The needle set offers lots of delight and satisfaction into your knitting world. Made of steel and every needle has its hole for life. Also, its cables are swivel, which prevents the cable from twisting while you knit.
The Needles consist of flexible cables, smooth joins, and a slick finish with pointed tips to increase, decrease, and twist patterns for stitches. The length of the tip is precisely four meters. They are easy to handle, lightweight and can endear to the hands quickly.
- The Brocade case is precisely 7″ x 7″ inches
- Easy to use and warms the hand quickly
- No-key screw connections with cables that you can adjust
- Brand – Hiya Hiya
- Model number – BCAC34070
- Weight – 2.4 ounces
- The steel enables faster stitches for experienced knitters
- The cable turns to avoid curling
- It consists of snips, safety pins, cable connectors, and stoppers
- It has a sharp tip for knitting lace.
- Each of the needles comes with its hole for a lifeline
- It has an unpredictable surface that might function awkwardly for beginners
- Its sharp tips can break some yarns
Watch the Hiya Hiya Interchangeable Needle Set video review here:
CHIAOGOO Twist Interchangeable Set
(Best for universal projects)
The knitting Needle set comes with a large range of sizes for needles. Made of steel, and each needle has its size written on it so that you can identify easily. Every needle in the set has its hole for lifeline which makes adding lifeline very easy.
The cables are memory free and manufactured from steel with plastic coating to keep projects kink-free in the knitting process. The needles set consist of pins that give extra leverage when you tighten the needles to the cable. You will find the set in a white and black case and a red ribbon.
- They have a multi-strand and steel cable covered in red nylon.
- Coded cable connectors, keys for tightening and end stoppers
- Adjustable accessories and cables
- Brand – CHIAOGOO
- Model – 7400-C
- Weight – 8.8 ounces
- It makes knitting fast and saves lots of time
- The lifeline hole I a massive advantage
- Its cables are memory free which prevents cable kinking or curling
- It has a sharp tip, which helps when you knit with small yarn weights
- Stitches can drop from the hands of a beginner
- The sharp tips can break some yarn
Watch the video explanation of the CHIAOGOO Twist Interchangeable Set here:
Addi Interchangeable Needle
(Best for experienced knitters)
The addi needles have the click connections, slick surfaces, and pointed tips that can keep advanced knitters comfortable for several hours. The needles do not come with grippers or pins, so there is no need to add needles to cables. It is compact and will not fall apart during usage.
The needles come with a white bronze finish that provides a shining appearance and matchless zip but lacks skin senility that the nickel plating brings to the fold. The bronze resists corrosion, which makes this product the best for experienced knitters.
- They have a bronze white finish
- Click Connector that helps you to unify cords or keep stitches
- The bag includes shoulder straps and drawstring for closure.
- Brand – addi Skacel
- Model – B01JBL61MY
- Weight – 13.3 ounces
- The cord and needles have their sizes printed on them
- The needle has a sharp point and long taper that function properly for tight and fast knitters
- It is perfect for fingering weight yarns
- It has a hole for lifeline insertion
- It has a slippery surface that may not be suitable for newbies
- You cannot interchange the click connection with the screw-in cables and needles
Watch the video to learn Addi Interchangeable Needle basic concepts:
Lykke Indigo Interchangeable Needle Set
(Best for beginners)
The needles provide a new definition of eco-friendly wood needles. The sizes of the screw-in needles are in both metric and US, and the laser inscribed on the needles. The case of the needle also has a stand that makes it easy to place take out needles from the case.
- It comes with eight stoppers, two connectors, and four cord keys.
- Consist of twelve needle tips with sizes from 3.5mm to 1mm.
- Eco-friendly wood
- Brand – Lykke Indigo
- Model – 4336925051
- Weight – 14.7 ounces
- The warming wood helps knitters with arthritic hands
- It has an eco-friendly wood
- The needle hold slippery yarns
- The stickier needles make it very easy for newbies to knit
- Fast knitters may not like it because it holds the yarn tighter
- You may not be able to use magic loop because it will be stiff
- The cables color is dark and can make counting stitches difficult on the cable
Learn how to use the Lykke Indigo Interchangeable Needle Set here:
Knitters Pride Interchangeable Needle Set
(Best for every knitter)
Everyone close to you will love this one, the colorful pride needles bring warm-heartedness to knits, and the birchwood offers a lightweight experience. You absolutely find the needles sizes written on them, although that can disappear in a short time, the numbers will be at the end of the metal.
The screw inside the wooden needles can help you hand fatigue while knitting.
- It consists of nine different interchangeable needles pair
- Needles sizes range from 3.5mm to 8mm
- The sizing of the needles are color-coded
- Brand – Knitters Pride
- Model – KP-200601
- Weight – 1.92 ounces
- You definitely find needle sizes on the needles
- The needles sizes are color-coded
- It makes no noise while knitting unlike metal needles
- The wood helps with the fatigue of the hand
- Stitches can be difficult to see because the needles and yarn have dark colors
- You have to purchase connectors for long cables
Watch the Knitters Pride Interchangeable Needle Set review here:
CLOVER Interchangeable Needles Takumi Combo Set
(Perfect for professionals)
The needle is lightweight, smooth, and straightforward to use. The needles come in twelve different tip sizes and every tip has its size written on it. The tip of the needle and the cord combines with a screw join easily.
- It has a customized case to enable simple storage and selection of cords and needles
- This great collection provides outstanding sizes reaching size sixty.
- The needle has a perfect finish from the tip to the cord joint, and it ensures easy stitching.
- Brand – Clover
- Model – 3683
- Weight – 0.96 ounces
- The needle is made of bamboo and does not hinder the yarn
- It has smooth joins, and the stitches do not catch
- Very simple to use and adjustable cables
- Tapered points
- There have been few complaints about the smooth joins dividing sometimes
Watch the simple analysis of the CLOVER Interchangeable Needles here:
Denise Interchangeable Blue Kit Bright’s
(Perfect for simple projects)
The Denise needles are in excellent standard colors and perfect for little projects with double circulars without additional needles. You can change needles size as much as you want to find accuracy easily.
It contains ten different needle head pairs with different sizes from 3.75mm to 10mm, four separate end buttons, and two connectors that you can use to join cords.
- The set consists of ten needle head with sizes from 3.75mm to 10mm.
- It has four end buttons and two connectors to join cords together.
- It has plastic needles tips with different colors.
- Brand – Denise
- Model – KBBRSET
- Weight – 12 ounces
- The tip of the needle originate from carefully created plastic resin
- The needle tips are plastic and come in different colors
- You can twist and turn it quickly when you want to add a tip to the cable
- It is the perfect tool for simple and easy projects without additional needles
- The smallest needle can bend a little if you knit tightly
- Cables and cords can break
- The needles can fall apart and not join correctly
Watch the general review of the Denise Interchangeable Kit here:
Knit Double-Pointed Wood Knitting Needle Set
(Perfect for dark yarns)
If you need needles that make a lot of difference, then here is your choice. They let you create the needle required for your projects with different alternatives from the cables and tips. The needles have golden layers of well-built coated birch, and it displays stitches nicely on the smooth finish.
It is the best for dark yarns because it provides the needed strength.
- It has a tapered point at each end
- Wood double-pointed needles in seven different sizes from 2mm to 3.5mm.
- It has the required strength.
- Brand – Knit
- Model – BCAC29231
- Weight – 0.32 ounces
- The needles have a light color and also a smooth finish
- You can use the needles for lots of projects
- They have end caps to take needles out whenever you are not around
- It is easy to keep
- Comfortable and very light
- The needles can unscrew anytime
- You cannot use the needles on hat projects because they are stiff
- The wooden handle can break too
Watch the unboxing and explanation of the Knit Double-Pointed Needle Set here:
Boye Needle master Interchangeable Knitting Set
(The best for making stitch holders)
The unequaled adaptability and comfort of this fantastic kit one of the best on the list. The points and adaptable cables let you switch from circular to straight needles, and you will find them all in the kit.
The case carries twenty-six needles and four cables. You can identify the needles quickly by their numbers written inside the case. It also consists of the gripper, cable coupler, and three pockets.
- It consists of metal needles with sizes from 2.75mm to 10mm
- It contains four stitch button holders
- Two couplers for cables
- Brand – Boye
- Model – 3287312000M
- Weight – 1.05 pounds
- You can identify the needles by their colors
- The cable consists of a metal connector and a screw top that fits the needles
- The needles store in one place for uninterrupted connection
- Clear pockets for extra accessories
- It has a stiff joins
- You can say goodbye to the magic loop because of its stiffness
Watch how to tap the Boye Interchangeable Needles to fit Knit Picks Cables here:
Ostart Double Knitting Set
(The most versatile hook)
This needle set is starting to gain the popularity it deserves because of its wonderful feel, which is a result of its bamboo build. It is versatile and comes at a reasonable price. The set also comes with five separate sets of fifteen different needle sizes.
- It has a very smooth feel
- The needles consist of five needles which are eight inches long with fifteen separate sizes
- Smooth and sharp tips.
- Brand – Ostart
- Model – BCAC11485
- Weight – 7.2 ounces
- The needles have a nice and smooth finish
- They are lots of needles available
- It comes at a fair price
- Well-built and durable
- The small sizes break easily
- The needles are often in similar sizes
Watch a video tutorial of the Ostart Double Knitting set here:
LIHAO 36 PCS Bamboo Knitting Needles Set
(Great for intermediate knitters)
These amazing needles set made with bamboo provides a smooth finish to prevent the rough edges. It gives the needles much stronger than the wooden and mildew proof needles to provide a non-stop quality guarantee.
- The needle has an excellent grip
- It is lightweight
- The needles have their sizes marked on each side for easy identification.
- Brand – LIHAO
- Model – MA-18SIZE-NEE
- Weight – 4.8 ounces
- It comes with an affordable price
- It is smooth and straightforward to use
- Well-built and long-lasting
- They have distinctive designs and colors
- The little sized needles can bend while under lots of pressure
- The hooks are unstable
- You can find sizes only in mm and not together with the US sizes
Watch unboxing and a video explanation of the LIHAO Knitting Needles Set here:
Knit Picks Interchangeable Needles Set
(The best for general use)
They are fine needles with smooth and flat sides that rest with ease on fingers and rounded corners providing a secure and convenient grip even when you work for hours.
They have sharp and tapered points with enough grip to manage the slick yarns.
- Memory-free cables
- Nine pairs of square wood tips and eight end caps
- Two metal lightening keys.
- Brand – Knit
- Model – 4336924937
- Weight – 5.6 ounces
- You can utilize it for various projects with its versatility
- They have end caps to allow you to take needles out when you go on a journey
- It is easy to keep
- Comfortable to use
- They can unscrew anytime
- Stiffness is one of its major problems
- The wood handles can break
Learn how to unbox and utilize the Knit Picks Interchangeable Needles:
How to Choose the Best Interchangeable Knitting Needles
Anytime you are on the lookout for interchangeable knitting needles that are best for your projects, and it is vital to make the right choice. Because of the needles’ ability to adapt, few needle combinations will not restrict you.
It does not matter if you are a beginner or an expert in the knitting world; the interchangeable needles can be the right tool for your project. Here are a few essential tips to know before you shop for interchangeable needles:
You can find the needles in various types of materials like aluminum, plastic, stainless steel, bamboo, and even more. The needles producers’ don’t mix things up, but if the connection from the cord and needle equals a different set, then you can interchange the needles in-between the sets.
It means you can utilize a plastic needle and also use an aluminum needle concurrently. You probably find the needles in inches like 5, 5.5 inches, which are great tips and from 3.5 to 4 inches, which are the small tips, and they come in rounded or sharp options.
The needles have a connection port for cords or cables at the tip’s other end.
The function of cables is to hold stitches while you knit, it has the same function with circular needles. You will find the cables in plastic coated steel or simple plastic.
If sixty inches is not enough, you can increase your stitches space by linking cables with each other. A lot of sets have effective small mechanisms that let you knit blankets entirely. You can also link more than one cable and let the long cables do the larger part of the work by holding the heavy yarn.
End caps improve the adaptability of the interchangeable needles. As an alternative to linking a needle at every single cable’s end, but the end cap at the other end, which transform a circular needle to an adjustable straight needle.
You can use the end caps to hold stitches to the cable while changing needles.
Pins and Other Items
Even though cables and needles link together, there is also a key or wire pin to strengthen the connection. The pin offers leverage when you tighten the cable and the needle.
You should go for the rubber type of grippers, and they give good grips whenever you tighten the interchangeable knitting needles. Just put one gripper on a needle and another on the cord and then turn both parts in opposite directions.
A good interchangeable needle set should have these attributes:
- The needle and cable tips stay connected.
- The cable that is a flexible one
- Six different needle tips diameter
- Four different cable length
- The end caps should be in the set
Frequently Asked Questions
For the newbies to knitting, Lykke Indigo Driftwood Interchangeable is the best recommendation for your practices, and the needles are lightweight, very easy to use, and eco-friendly.
But CLOVER 3683 Interchangeable Needles Set is the right choice for professionals, and it has a smooth needle tip, it has a very flexible cable and has sizes of different ranges.
It is always hard for beginners to choose the right type of interchangeable needle for projects. All the products on the list have amazing features to improve your projects, provides comfort and excellent outputs.