If you are considering taking up Tunisian crocheting – you may already know you’d need a different type of hook – the Tunisian crochet hook popularly called an Afghan hook. The Tunisian crochet hooks are used for special crocheting projects requiring the use of elongated hooks, as they're made by this way frequently.
Afghan/Tunisian crochet hooks sometimes come with a stopper on one end that keeps the loop on the hook, preventing it from falling during your crocheting session.
Some people regard Tunisian crocheting as a mix of both knitting and crocheting due to some similarities in techniques, for instance, like knitting, Tunisian crochet retains the stitch loop on the hook.
There are several types of Tunisian crochet hooks on the market. If you’re interested in picking up one or more, this post will guide you to make a good choice. I’ll be reviewing 12 of the best Tunisian crochet hooks you can purchase today.
In the buying guide section, I'll help you understand the different materials, types, size, and length of these Tunisian crochet hooks, so you can make the best choices of the Tunisian crochet hook for your new project.
Which is The Best Tunisian Crochet Hook to Buy?
If you're in haste to begin your Tunisian crocheting project and just need a recommendation of stellar Tunisian crochet hook(s) without reading all our reviews, I've got you covered. Here are a few of the best Tunisian crochet hooks you can purchase today. Feel free to continue reading our in-depth reviews just below the chart.
Which is the Best Tunisian Crochet Hook to Purchase?
Since not many of us have time to go through all texts of in-depth reviews, I've decided to highlight some of the best Tunisian crochet hooks on the market. It's an easier read highlighting their key details. If you decide on a lengthier wall of text reviewing each product, the in-depth review is just below.
- Best Overall: Knitter’s Pride DreamzKP600151 Crochet Hook Set
“Eight crochet hooks, expertly handcrafted by artisans, polished wood surface, easy to use, and lightweight.”
- Best Budget: Pack of 11 Afghan Crochet Hook Needles Set
“Roll up pouch for easy storage, eleven crochet hooks with size markers, aluminum material, sturdy crochet hooks.”
- Best for Beginners: Zuoyou Multicolor Crochet Hooks Set
"Made of aluminum, has varying sizes, multicolored, very budget-friendly, and lightweight."
- Best Interchangeable Tunisian Crochet: CLOVER Takumi Bamboo Hook Set
“A warm natural touch, lightweight, interchangeable hooks, has a travel case, less prone to splitting, quality bamboo.”
- Best Tunisian Crochet Hook Set: Teamoy 11 Pieces Tunisian Crochet Hook Set
"Ultimate Tunisian hooks set, hooks are made of aluminum, it has a carrying case, and contains scissors, tape, hooks, ruler and more, ideal for both advanced crocheters and beginners.”
- Best Tunisian Crochet Hooks with Cables: 12 Sizes of Carbonized Bamboo Tunisian Crochet Hooks Set
“Has moveable stopper, plastic cables, bamboo material, multiple hook sizes, easy to use hooks.”
- Best Carry: Set of 11 Afghan Crochet Hooks
“Contains 11 crochet hooks, aluminum build, multiple color hooks, all-in-one set with everything for a good handicraft, storage bag is portable, fancy and can be carried easily.”
- Best Budget Bamboo: Set of 12 Bleached Bamboo Tunisian Crochet Hooks
“Bleached bamboo, project flexibility thanks to adjoined plastic cables, length of 48-inches including cables.”
Top 10 Best Tunisian Crochet Hook Comparison Chart 2020
The below comparison chart take a keen look at some of the features/specifications of the best Tunisian crochet hooks. Here I'll brief you about the material, length, and weight of each of the Tunisian crochet hooks I'll be reviewing properly just below the chart.
|Best Tunisian Crochet Hooks||Material||Length||Weight|
|Afghan Crochet Hook Needles 11-Pack - Best Budget Tunisian Crochet Hook Set||Aluminum||10.5”||5.6 ounces|
|Zuoyou Multicolor Crochet Hooks Knitting Needles Set - Best for Beginners||Aluminum||10.6”||6.4 ounces|
|Valar Dohaeris Assorted Color Afghan Crochet Hooks||Aluminum||10.6”||5.6 ounces|
|Knitter’s Pride DreamzKP600151 Crochet Hook Set - Overall Best Tunisian Crochet Hook||Polished wood||N/A||1.6 ounces|
|ChiaoGoo T-Spin Tunisian Bamboo 5.7-inch Crochet Hook Set||Bamboo||5.7”||6.2 ounces|
|CLOVER Takumi Interchangeable Bamboo Afghan Crochet Hook Set - Best Interchangeable Tunisian Crochet Hook set on the market||Bamboo||N/A||4.8 ounces|
|Susan Bates 22-Inch Flexible Silvalume Tunisia Hook||Aluminum||22” flexible cable||0.64 ounces|
|Teamoy 11 Pcs Tunisian Crochet Hook Sets - Best All-in-One Tunisian Crochet Hook Set||Aluminum||11”||15.5 ounces|
|11 Pieces Buytra Tunisian Crochet Hooks Set||Aluminum||10.6”||4.8 ounces|
|Looen Tunisian Crochet Hook Set||Aluminum||N/A||13.6 ounces|
Best Tunisian Crochet Hooks Reviews 2020
Let’s take a minute to go over the review proper of the best Tunisian crochet hooks on the market.
Best Tunisian Crochet Hooks
1. Afghan Crochet Hook Needles 11-Pack
(Best Budget Tunisian Crochet Hook Set)
This exceptional aluminum Tunisian Crochet hook comes in 11 different sizes. Each size is marked on the tips of the needles to fulfill your wide-ranging knitting needs.
All crochet hooks are stored safely in a beautiful, lightweight pouch designed with flowers, hearts, and stars. This pouch makes it very convenient for you to carry around.
The hooks – and the shafts as well – are unbelievably smooth, and this implies no snagging of yarn whatsoever. The end caps of the hooks always attach firmly
- Crochet hooks available in 11 different sizes
- Handy, carrying pouch
- Made of aluminum
- Smooth and sturdy
- Size markers make it easier for users to pick out the exact size they need for their crocheting projects
- Made of pure aluminum
- Sturdy enough to withstand any rough-handling
- Includes 11 different sizes to choose from
- Great tool for beginners
- Size markers located at the top of each Afghan crochet hook makes it easier to pick out the size you need for your project
- 100 percent money-back guarantee and free return if a user is unsatisfied
- Comes with a handy, carrying pouch
- Some users complain that it snags a bit on the yarn, i.e. catch and split the yarn in the middle of the stitch
2. Zuoyou Crochet Hooks Assorted Color Knitting Needles Set
(Best for Beginners)
Zouyou Crochet Hooks are perfect tools that beginners can quickly get used to once they get their hands on them. They are affordable, easy to use, and comfortable as well.
These crochet hooks are made of high-quality aluminum and come in 11 different sizes for diverse crocheting uses.
- Made of high-quality aluminum, comfortable and smooth touch
- Length: 10.6 inches/27cm
- Each crochet hook comes in numerous shiny colors
- 11 different sizes designed to meet daily knitting requests
- Easy to use and a great gift for a friend interested in learning Tunisian crochet
- Less cumbersome compared to bamboo crochet hooks since no cord is attached to them
- Long enough to accommodate a significant number of stitches all at once.
- Ideal enough to be used for mid-sized projects
- Great for learning Tunisian crochet
- Excellent for knitting projects that call for the use of single-ended hooks
- Relatively affordable
- Larger sizes are somewhat heavy
- Some of the crochet hooks split the yarns, thereby making them unusable
- Printed sizes on the hooks fade away with time
3. Valar Dohaeris Assorted Color Afghan Crochet Hooks
ValarDohaeris Tunisian Crochet hooks are made of high-quality aluminum, thus making it smooth and comfortable to use.
The product comes with 11 different-sized hooks, each designed to meet your specific crocheting needs. Each crochet hook has numerous shiny colors that can lift your spirit excitedly as you knit away every day.
The length of the Valar Dohaeris Afghan crocheting hooks is about 10.6 inches/27 cm.
- Made of high-quality aluminum
- Comes in 11 unique sizes to meet the basic needs of beginners and experts alike
- Available in assorted colors to promote the feel-good mood when knitting
- Length is not more than about 10.6 inches/27 cm
- Made of aluminum, making it much better than plastic
- Shiny colored hooks to boost user’s overall mood when knitting or crocheting
- Easy to use, and very comfortable
- Perfect gift for a friend or two that wants to learn Tunisian crochet, i.e. beginner-friendly
- Relatively affordable
- Long enough to accommodate an incredibly large number of stitches
- Larger sizes can be heavy
- Comes with no cord
- The thinner ones are somewhat fragile and bend easily
4. Knitter’s Pride Dreamz KP600151 Crochet Hook Set
(Overall Best Tunisian Crochet Hook)
If you are looking for an expertly handcrafted Tunisian crochet hook, you just found it! The Knitter's Pride Dreamz is specially handcrafted by skilled artisans in India and features 8 crochet hooks along with 4 cords and 8 end caps.
You may also be delighted to discover that this Afghan crochet hook's polished wood surface ensures effortless gliding of yarns, irrespective of the material type. The cord is easy to connect, thus providing smooth stitch flow without any form of snagging.
The Knitter's Pride Dreamz is gentle in the hands as it works through flexible cords without any trouble. It is ideal for anyone, beginner or expert.
- Comes with 8 crochet hooks
- 8 end caps
- A set of cord-connectors
- 4 cord keys available in a vinyl case
- Handcrafted by skilled artisans
- It’s polished wood surface sees that yarns glide through all types of material easily
- It’s pretty straightforward to connect cord
- After an extended period of use, where the cord connects to this tool loosens up, thereby giving you a crimp
Check out this un-boxing and video review of the Knitter’s Pride Dreamz crotchet set below.
5. ChiaoGoo T-Spin Tunisian Bamboo 5.7-inch Crochet Hook Set
When you work with extended hooks, you may have noticed that the cable generally flops around, thereby hindering your progress since it will be tough to keep the cable from turning.
Thanks to the ChiaoGoo T-Spin crochet hook, you will no longer have to deal with cabled hooks.
The ChiaoGoo Afghan/Tunisian crochet interchangeable hooks, the base of hook’s tips spins remarkably well to match every one of your movements.
The SPIN feature of the ChiaoGoo crochet hooks takes an enormous amount of pressure off your wrists, especially when you're dealing with big projects. The crochet hooks are straight and flexible with a few double-ended cabled hooks.
Every one of the ChiaoGoo Tunisian crochet hooks is made with bamboo material. And they are available in a wide range of sizes – from 4mm to 11.5mm – as well as in 24-, 32-, 40-, and 60-inch cord lengths.
The straight ChiaoGoo hooks are 9 inches or 13 inches in length while the range is from 3.5mm to 11.5mm.
- Every crochet hook in the set is made of Moso bamboo
- Flexible hooks available in several cord lengths and a wide range of sizes
- Straight hooks are 9 inches and 13 inches
- 2 connectors, 4 end stoppers, and 4 adapters
- Tightening keys along with a needle gauge
- Zippered case with flowery design
- Size is permanently laser-marked on every hook
- All hooks are made with Moso bamboo with stainless steel join
- Smooth transitions, no drag
- Secure connections
- Compatible with SPIN and Twist cables
- Extra cables are sold separately
- Feels much better in the hands than plastic
- Some users feel that the head of the hook is not super smooth
- Somewhat expensive
6. CLOVER Takumi Interchangeable Bamboo Afghan Crochet Hook Set
(Best Interchangeable Tunisian Crochet Hook set on the market)
Expert knitters have always stated that bamboo is the perfect material to be used for making crochet hooks. And the CLOVER Takumi crochet hook set which comes in a convenient case, proves they are right.
The seamless joints between parts in this Tunisian crochet set are even and smooth, thus making it incredibly easy for simple crochet. It comes with 5 cord sizes, several interchangeable Afghan crochet hooks – i.e. sizes 4mm through 6mm – and 5 cord stoppers.
CLOVER makes astonishing 6-inch double-ended hooks which are ideal for Afghan crochet-in-the-round.
- Lightweight Afghan crochet hooks
- Bamboo interchangeable
- Comes with a travel case to facilitate transportation
- It comes with 5 cord sizes along with 5 cord stoppers
- Combo set various sizes of bamboo-made interchangeable Afghan crochet hooks
- Double-ended hooks with different size hook tips on each end
- Made with bamboo, the perfect material for making crochet hooks
- Incredibly lightweight
- Comes with different sizes of interchangeable Afghan crochet hooks
- Less prone to catching on the yarn or splitting
- Handy for normal crochet to minimize the number of hooks a user may carry around with them
- Price a bit on the high side
- May not be ideal for use on scratchy yarns like red heart super saver
7. Susan Bates 22-Inch Flexible Silvalume Tunisia Hook
This crochet hook is made of pure lightweight aluminum and features an inline head that can grasp yarn quickly when you are crocheting.
Although this type of crochet hook tends to catch yarns, it glides very smoothly and is excellent at catching the yarn and letting you pull it right through the stitches.
- Made of lightweight aluminum
- Each crochet hook from Silvalume undergoes a unique anodizing process to etch away surface impurities
- 22 inches flexible cable
- Sturdy as it is made from lightweight aluminum
- Perfect for beginners
- Treated for durability and strength
- US and metric sizes are marked on top of the knob for easy identification
- Paint chips easily
- Some users complain that yarns get caught from time to time
8. Teamoy 11 Pcs Tunisian Crochet Hook Sets
(Best All-in-One Tunisian Crochet Hook Set)
This Teamoy Tunisian all-in-one crochet set pack contains everything to make your next Afghan crocheting project seamless. There are 11 pieces of different sizes of aluminum crochet hooks for your Afghan crocheting, 9 pieces of plastic needles, a measuring tape, scissors, stitch holder and even a ruler.
If you’re an avid traveler and a lover of crocheting projects, you’d appreciate the carrying case – which is well made with quality canvas-coated material.
- Canvas-coated carrying case
- Made of aluminum
- All-in-one pack with scissors, tape, ruler, hooks and more
- Contains everything you need for stress-free crocheting work
- Has a carrying case for easy carriage
- The Afghan/Tunisian hooks are smooth without rough edges.
- It contains hooks of varying lengths.
- Both beginners and advanced users appreciate the combo
- The pack is well-cushioned preventing damage on your crocheting tools
- The size marking tends to wear off
9. 11 Pieces Buytra Tunisian Crochet Hooks Set
This set of 11 pieces of Buytra Tunisian crochet hooks are made of aluminum. The hooks are smooth with no chips, seams and very comfortable and easy to use. If you’re a lover of colors, you’ll appreciate the multicolor hooks making identifying a favorite by color easy.
The buytra crochet hook has a length of approximately 10.6” and works well with both thread and yarn.
- Aluminum material
- Length of 10.6”
- 11 pieces of hooks
- Multicolor hooks
- Multicolor hook set for easy picking a favorite hook
- Made of quality aluminum material with no chips or seams.
- It’s comfortable to use and easy to get started with
- Have 11 different sizes of hooks to work with
- The packaging is a little flabby (just padded envelope)
10. Looen Tunisian Crochet Hook Set
This set of Tunisian crochet hook contains 11 varying sizes of crochet hooks as well as 9 pieces of yarn needles, 20 stitch markers, scissors, a measuring tape, stitch holders and a measuring ruler. It can be described as an all-in-one toolset for your next crocheting project. The hook set storage housing is made of oxford fabric with compartments for various types and sizes of needles.
- Storage bag with various compartments
- 11 pieces of ergonomic hooks
- Contains scissors, yarn needles, tape, stitch markers and more
- Shiny multicolor hooks
- A good quality bag for ease of organization
- For all the perks, the pricing is good
- Makes for a great gift item
- The weight is comfortable
- The hooks are not of the best quality. Tend to bend and have burrs easily compared with others on the list.
In this buying guide section, I’ll walk you through everything you should regarding picking out the best Tunisian crochet hook for your project.
You want to consider all factors before purchasing your crochet hook, and this guide will assist you in doing so. From picking a hook material of choice to the right hook size for your yarn weight, the perfect length of hook – with or without a cord and more.
I'll also talk briefly about those interchangeable sets of crochet hooks and if they're worth investing in. Let's begin.
Material Type of Tunisian Crochet Hook
Like many other handicraft tools, Tunisian/Afghan crochet hooks can come in many types of materials like bamboo, plastic, wood, and aluminum. While there are a plethora of choices, several crocheters opt for a hook with a similar type of material that they're already used to. If you're a beginner crocheter, you can choose a material and familiarize yourself with it.
Length of Afghan/Tunisian Crochet Hooks
Depending on the size of your crocheting project, a standard crochet hook can be used instead of a Tunisian/Afghan crochet hook. However, you may notice your stitches are being stretched by the thumb rest while they’re sitting on the hook. This is why the hook length is important for Tunisian crocheting as the loops should be kept on the hook.
Generally, the length of straight Afghan/Tunisian crochet hooks is fixed. The typical length is usually between 10" and 14". Your choice of a hook will also determine how convenient your handcrafting will be, as short hooks will mean your stitches falling from hook once your work is put down. Identifying stitches to remove may also become a problem if they are closely packed together while you're working a return.
A straight Afghan/Tunisian hook which is a bit too long might be inconvenient for someone sitting close to you, as it’d poke holes at the sides. Let’s not forget that making large crocheting projects like blankets are usually heavy and using straight Afghan/Tunisian hooks will mean you’re holding the material weight at hand while making use of your Tunisian crochet hook.
The Option of a Corded Hook
If you’re trying to increase the length of your Afghan/Tunisian crochet hook without increasing its weight, the use of a corded hook is best. These corded hooks which are typically made using plastic can extend more than 6” of the hook. It’s preferred by several crocheters due to its length which is similar to the regular crochet hook so it gives a familiar feeling in the hands. Also, due to extra length, you can rest the project on the cord which would keep your wrist from being strained while you crochet.
The Option of Interchangeable Crochet Hooks
You can also opt for sets of interchangeable crochet hooks. Opting for this mean you’d have several hooks of varying sizes, stoppers and different lengths of cords. With a set, you can decide to assemble your Afghan/Tunisian crochet hook how you’d like it to be, so it’s perfect for your specific project. Once done with the project, you can disassemble it. Interchangeable crochet hooks are versatile and would work smoothly for double-ended crocheting.
Choosing Tunisian/Afghan Crochet Hook Sizes
To create a Tunisian/Afghan crochet fabric which doesn’t curl a lot and has better drape than regular crochet fabric, it is advisable to choose a Tunisian crochet hook that’s larger than the standard crochet hook you’d normally use for that weight/size of yarn by one or two sizes.
If you’re just beginning Tunisian crocheting, here’s a video of how to hold your hooks for a smooth and good project:
Want easy Tunisian crochet stitches to take up as a beginner? Check out this video below.
Our Top Pick
Our top pick is the Knitter’s Pride Dreamz KP600151 Tunisian hook set. This hook set is handcrafted by expert artisans. Its polished wood surface also keeps yarn gliding easily without snagging.
There are eight hooks included with 1 set of cord connectors, so you can choose the right hook for your project. The Knitter’s Pride KP600151 Tunisian crochet hook is worth checking out and you can do that here.