Every knitting hobbyist knows how important it is to keep a yarn ball tangle-free and organized. Just ask any parent who saw their baby use their yarn ball as a relief for teething. Or, ask cat owners how their feline buddies played with their almost finished knitting project, thinking it was a toy.
That is why knitters should invest in the best yarn bowl. Not only will it keep your projects out of harm's way, but it will keep it knotless and hassle-free as well.
With this knitting tool, you just have to put your ball into the bowl and the string the yarn's end into its hole. That way, you can gently and effortlessly tug to feed out more yarn material while you are working.
And, more importantly, it allows you to move your knitting project easily out of reach. Although they look gorgeous enough to be used as decorations, they are mainly designed to keep your ball of yarn from creating knots and tangling.
Not every yarn bowl on today's market, however, can make your knitting projects a breeze. Some are built to last forever, while others break down instantly. And, there are some do not look as visually appealing as the best yarn bowl brands.
To help you select the best yarn bowl for your projects, I have created a guide highlighting the best options on the market today.
- The Importance of Having the Best Yarn Bowl
- My Best Yarn Bowls for 2019
- Best Yarn Bowls Comparison Chart 2020
- Best Yarn Bowl Reviews 2020
- Yarn Valet Yarn Bowl
- Mygift Rustic Yarn Bowl
- AB Handicrafts Ceramic Yarn Bowl
- Lennymud T-Rex Yarn Bowl
- Anthony Stoneware Yarn Bowl
- Nagina International Ceramic Yarn Bowl
- Yarn & Fiber Yarn Bowl
- Ravel Wooden Yarn Bowl Set
- BambooMN Yarn Bowl
- Knit Picks Yarn Bowl
- Hagestad Yarn Bowl
- Nagina Rosewood Yarn Bowl
- Orchid & Ivy Wooden Yarn Bowl
- Kitty Cat Yarn Bowl
- Springtime Yarn Bowl
- Things to Consider When Looking for the Best Yarn Bowl
- Our Top Pick
The Importance of Having the Best Yarn Bowl
Yarn bowls are a must for every knitting enthusiast. While it may seem unimportant, it can be very beneficial to you in a lot of ways. Here's how the best yarn bowl can make your knitting experience more fun, fashionable and relaxing.
- A yarn bowl can keep any unfinished project on standby. Once you are ready to resume, you can instantly get right back to it.
- It can be used as a decoration.
- Your yarn ball will comfortably rest in the bowl, meaning you do not have to go through the stress of watching your pet pouncing on it like it is a toy.
- Your yarn ball or cake will not be littered with pet fur or lent when you keep it in a bowl.
- It keeps your yarn ball off the ground when knitting outside.
My Best Yarn Bowls for 2019
Got no clue on which is the best yarn bowl for your project? Need some help in selecting the best yarn bowl? Then, spend a few minutes reading these suggestions and tips.
- Best overall: Yarn Valet Yarn Bowl
Made 100% in the USA, this yarn bowl is extremely durable, smooth and so versatile!
- Runner up: Mygift Rustic Yarn Bowl
Stylish and rustic with a swirl curved cut-out design that keeps your yarn tangle free and tidy.
- Budget pick: AB Handicrafts Ceramic Yarn Bowl
Inexpensive, stylish and portable, making it a great addition to your knitting arsenal.
- Best designed: BambooMN Yarn Bowl
Durable and gorgeous, it's perfectly made from an earth-friendly and sustainable renewable resource.
- Most stylish: Nagina Rosewood Yarn Bowl
Carved into perfection, this yarn bowl also dazzles with its wondrous design and shiny glaze.
- Most durable: Orchid & Ivy Wooden Yarn Bowl
The perfect mix of lightweight and sturdy, offering a hassle-free knitting experience.
- Best in Craftsmanship: Ravel Wooden Yarn Bowl Set
Rustic, artistic and handmade by talented local artisans, this yarn bows looks quite like a vintage artifact.
- Most artistic: Springtime Yarn Bowl
Inspired by lovely flowers and the crisp blue skies, this yarn bowl is each an original work of art.
Best Yarn Bowls Comparison Chart 2020
The choices for the best yarn bowl are practically infinite. So, I have rounded up some of the top options, to help you pick the best yarn bowl for your hobbies and projects.
|6 by 6 by 3 inches||3.2 ounces|
|6.3 by 3.5 inches||15.8 ounces|
|6 by 6 by 4 inches||1.48 pounds|
|7 by 7 by 3.5 inches||4 pounds|
|6 by 6 by 3.5 inches||1.45 pounds|
|9.1 by 9.1 by 6 inches||2.29 pounds|
|7 by 7 by 4 inches||1.45 pounds|
|7 by 7 by 4 inches||1.6 pounds|
|6.5 by 6.3 by 6.3 inches||2.55 pounds|
|6.1 by 4.3 by 6.1 inches||15.7 ounces|
|9 by 8.3 by 4.4 inches||2.25 pounds|
|6 by 3 by 3 inches||10.1 ounces|
|8 by 8 by 5 inches||1.46 pounds|
|6 by 6 by 3 inches||1.2 pounds|
|7.2 by 7.2 by 3.5 inches||2.15 pounds|
Best Yarn Bowl Reviews 2020
A great way to score the best yarn bowl for your knitting adventure is to read trustworthy reviews from recent users. Heed my reviews and tips, so you can find the best yarn bowl for your knitting escapade.
Yarn Valet Yarn Bowl
There is no yarn bowl quite as popular and dependable as Yarn Valet.
For years, Yarn Valet has been the go-to yarn bowl for knitters, thanks to its incredible features.
Made proudly in the USA, this yarn bowl is made of lightweight and sturdy ABS plastic. Plus, it does not slip easily compared to other yarn bowls.
Furthermore, the yarn flows smoothly with the Yarn Valet Yarn Bowl.
And, the slot area is so smooth, meaning there are no rough edges that can potentially fray the yarn.
With all its cool features, it is easy to see why people endless praise this yarn bowl.
- It has a non-slip rubberized base
- Constructed with lightweight, sturdy ABS plastic
- Flexible and portable
- It does not slip easily thanks to its well-designed base
- It can be used for bulkier and loftier yarns
- Perfectly size, meaning you can bring it wherever you want
- A bit wobbly because it is so light
- It is not as elaborate and stylish as ceramic and wooden yarn bowls
Mygift Rustic Yarn Bowl
Mygift is, without a doubt, one of the most affordable non-plastic yarn bowls I have ever bought. Although it is not the most gorgeous yarn bowl in my arsenal, it is a step up, when it comes to aesthetics over the plastic options.
Size-wise, the yarn bowl is perfect for most medium and small skeins. Extra big and long skeins, however, look a little odd in this yarn bowl since the skein's bulk will hang outside the bowl.
- It has a swirl, curved cut-out design
- It is handmade of ceramic with a rustic finish
- Provides easy flow as you knit and keeps your yarn tangle-free and tidy
- Easy on the eyes
- Portable and has the perfect size
- Perfect for small and medium-size projects
- Too light
- Yarn holder is a bit rough
- Some edges are rough
- Not ideal for larger projects
AB Handicrafts Ceramic Yarn Bowl
I totally love this yarn bowl. I already had a collection of yarn bowls and this one made my crafting room look better and more complete.
It is a lovely ceramic bowl with a pretty pattern and a shiny glaze.
When I am not using it for my knitting and crocheting project, I use it as a decoration or a holder for my remote control.
Of course, the yarn does not get frayed and caught whenever I use this yarn bowl. The edges are rather smooth, so the yarn ball does not snag at all.
It's a bit small for me, but is still works like a charm.
- Stylish design
- Can be carried in your tote or yarn bag
- Large storage size
- Keeps your yarn untangled, organized and clean
- Smooth surface, meaning the yarn does not get frayed or caught
- Spacious storage size
- Does not slip easily
- Great for decoration
- A bit small
- Breaks easily
Lennymud T-Rex Yarn Bowl
Such a cute yarn bowl! My kids literally love the color, letterings, design and the dinosaur print. But, make no mistake about it – there is more to this yarn bowl than meets the eye.
Made from ceramic, the quality of this yarn bowl is simply fantastic.
For the most part, ceramic yarn bowls break quickly when dropped.
This one, though, remained intact even though it fell a couple of times.
Moreover, the shape is perfect and the surface is pretty smooth. There are definitely no rough edges on this yarn bowl.
Truthfully, I am not fond of this design, but it at least has some captivating colors.
- Made 100% in the USA
- Created wonderfully from earthenware clay
- No rough edges
- Sturdy and compact
- Beautiful colors
- Smooth surface
- Perfectly sized
- Easy and simple to use
- Perfect for small to medium knitting or crocheting projects
- Somewhat heavy compared to other yarn bowl options
- Design may be too quirky for some people
Anthony Stoneware Yarn Bowl
I was blown away the moment I opened the package. I knew it is visually appealing, but I did not think it is this beautiful. It was handcrafted into perfection and has a stunning color.
And, it is not just beautiful, but very functional too. It makes knitting a breeze and is so comfortable use. I mainly used it for small to medium sized yarn balls.
I originally bought one as a gift for a friend, and ended up buying one for myself because I was impressed by it.
There was a small rough spot on the surface, but it was an easy fix using some sand paper.
- Handmade 100% in the USA
- Perfectly functional and delightfully simple
- Eye-catching and can be used as a decorative piece
- Perfectly sized and portable
- The J cut is finely finished and the yarn comes very nicely through
Nagina International Ceramic Yarn Bowl
It is, to me, one of the most wonderful and gorgeous yarn bowls in my arsenal. Attractive and highly glossy, this ceramic yarn bowl makes a great decoration in my living room. I am an art lover, so I was also amazed by its hand painted designs.
Everyone knows ceramic items are rather fragile. But, this one seems sturdy and long-lasting. This yarn bowl will not shatter into pieces, unless applied with a tremendous amount of force.
Even better, knitting is a walk in the park with this yarn bowl. The curled cut-out dispenses yarn pretty smoothly and has no rough areas on it.
- Looks artsy and gorgeous
- Smooth with a high gloss finish
- Perfect craftsmanship
- Great for small to medium knitting and crocheting projects
- No yarn fraying
- It can be used for home decoration
- A little expensive
- Small for some knitting projects
Yarn & Fiber Yarn Bowl
Quite a beautiful yarn bowl! The quality of craftsmanship is second to none, and as an added bonus, comes in a sweet gift bow. I bought it for myself, but I like it so much that I bought one for my sister.
The wood finish is smooth inside and out, so it does not cause any damage to the yarn. Moreover, the carrying bag feels luxurious and is supremely durable.
To top it all off, it works so well with a variety of small knitting and crocheting projects. It's functional and keeps the yarn from twisting, making it a great choice when looking for the best yarn bowl.
- It comes with a cozy bag
- Superior and classy handcrafted quality
- Excellent customer service
- It works on a multitude of projects
- Pleasant on the eyes
- Smooth finish
- Durable than ceramic
- It effectively stops yarn from rolling
- Smaller than expected
Ravel Wooden Yarn Bowl Set
This yarn bowl is unlike most wooden pieces on today's market. Made of durable and high quality hardwood, this wooden handcrafted yarn does not consist of many pieces that are glued together. It's one sturdy wood piece, carved carefully and polished perfect, to make sure it lasts for a number of years.
And, it's very versatile too. I can use it as a décor piece as well as a storage place for DIY accessories, remote control and keys.
Another thing I truly like about it is that it is wonderfully smooth. I can use it as much as I want without having to worry about frayed yarns.
- It comes with a pair of crochet hooks
- It has a red velvet bag
- Handmade by professional local artisans
- Stylish and rustic
- Smooth inside and outside
- Does not break quickly when dropped
- Super quality
- Not as big as expected
BambooMN Yarn Bowl
If you are searching for something different, go for the BambooMN Yarn Bowl. With its square-like design, it may seem different. Not to worry, however, as these boxes will not disappoint.
Truthfully, they hold larger yarn balls compared to the traditional bowls. It's a handsome tool, sturdy as well as heavy enough to not move or bounce around as you are working.
And, my yarn smoothly flows with this tool. Plus, it has a rather smooth surface, so there is nothing to worry about having a frayed yarn.
- Made from authentic bamboo with a beautifully glossy finish
- It comes with a lid to make sure your yarn remains protected and clean as you knit
- Eco-friendly and sustainable
- Elegant design
- It can holder larger yarns and skeins
- It can be used a home décor
- Smooth surface
- More stable than a conventional yarn bowl
- It’s not as portable as other yarn bowls
- Prone to cracks over time
Knit Picks Yarn Bowl
Overall, you will have an absolute blast using Knit Picks Yarn Bowl. It has a no-frills, easy-to-use cut out to hold the yarn and create the perfection tension. What is more, it has a super thick base that keeps it in place and steady.
One of the things I truly like about is its super smooth surface. Trust me, it will keep your precious yarn fibers safe from snags and rough spots.
With its glossy finish and dramatic texture, it can be a fun and decorative piece to store your notion, small tools, keys and yarn.
- It can hold around 100 grams of bulky yarn cake
- Smooth and glossy surface
- Stylish with a contemporary look
- Big and spacious enough to hold other small items
- Lightweight, but sturdy enough
- Perfectly handcrafted with gorgeous wood grain
- No snagging
- Prone to cracks
Hagestad Yarn Bowl
Hagestad is a small, family-operated business that takes pride in producing quality and beautiful knitting products. And, this yarn bowl is a wondrous and perfect example of their craftsmanship and dedication. It is such a joy to hold and knit using this yarn bowl.
Plus, it is so smooth to touch and has enough weight to sit solidly anywhere you set it. The yarn feed and holes are perfectly smooth, meaning no snags in the yarn fiber while you are working.
The bowl is large and spacious enough to hold three to four small yarn balls. The way I see it, the bowl can hold two or more heavy yarn balls.
- Large size, meaning it can fit comfortably a 10 ounce yarn ball
- High quality
- Lifetime guarantee
- Bigger than usual yarn bowls and can accommodate larger yarn balls
- It helps proper tension and gives excellent yarn control when crocheting
- Looks classy
- The inside finish needs a bit of refining
- Not as portable as other yarn bowls
Nagina Rosewood Yarn Bowl
It is beautiful and functional. I was also quite surprised by its weight and how thick its walls are. The base is really stable, thanks to its weight.
The yarn bowl mostly accommodates small and medium sized yarn balls. Not to mention, it can hold bigger yarn balls by letting them sit on top of the bowl's walls.
The bowl's design is almost perfect. Unfortunately, there are rough and unfinished in the edges of the yarn bowl. Nevertheless, other useable surfaces of the yarn bowl are properly coated and finely polished. It's so nice to touch and is nice to look at. Personally, I think it's a great addition to any yarn bowl collection.
- Heavy and large with a heavier, sturdier base
- Natural and authentic wood design
- Holds up to 10 ounce of skeins
- It is stable and durable
- Thick walls
- It can hold larger skeins
- Rough and unfinished is certain areas
- Smaller than expected
Orchid & Ivy Wooden Yarn Bowl
As someone who loves cats, this wooden yarn bowl did appease me. So far, it is one of the cutest and most creative yarn bowls that I have ever bought, thanks to its cat silhouette design. It is certainly one of my favorites.
More than just a cute yarn bowl, this one also is functional and durable. I accidentally knocked it off the table twice, and it still looks surprisingly pristine. The yard feeds and truly makes knitting a fun and relaxing experience.
Overal, I rank it as one of the top yarn bowls on the market today.
- Perfect gifts for cat lovers
- High quality
- Durable material
- Cute and whimsical
- Larger yarn cakes fit effortlessly
- Inside wood cuts have not been smoothed and rounded fairly well
- Surface is rougher compared to the best yarn bowl options
Kitty Cat Yarn Bowl
Speaking cat-designed products, you will utterly love the Kitty Cat Yarn Bowl. To be honest, it is the best yarn bowl for cat lovers. It is fantastic and is an original piece of art. The yarn bowl even has a signature from its award-winning artist.
Durability-wise, this is pottery is more durable than wooden bowls with irregularities and weak surfaces. I am a clumsy person, and this one has been accidentally bumped off my table a number of times. And, guess what? It is still in one piece and looks untouched.
It holds the yarn wonderfully and makes knitting a rather painless and relaxing experience.
- A work of art
- Beautifully colored
- Top quality
- Amazingly durable
- Beautiful design
- Perfect weight
- Smooth surface
- Too light for some knitting projects
- Expensive compared to other yarn bowls
Springtime Yarn Bowl
It is amazingly beautiful! I really love the remarkable chimes that the yarn bowl creates whenever the yarn touches its side. It was a nice surprised and addition to this yarn bowl.
And, it is way better than the photographs. The colors are more vibrant and the details are more fabulous. Likewise, it holds a ton of yarn. I tried putting three yarn balls on it and it held up fairly well.
Since it is made 100 percent in the USA, expect the product to be extremely durable. To make things even better, it is handmade with high quality ceramic clay.
- A fine work of art
- Made in America
- Handmade with ceramic clay
- Colorful and easy on the eyes
- Surface is smooth
- Vulnerable to cracks
Things to Consider When Looking for the Best Yarn Bowl
There are a few important things to consider before you buy a yarn bowl. Here are some hints and tip-offs to help you score the best yarn bowl.
Size is, hands down, an important consideration when looking for the best yarn bowl. To make knitting more enjoyable, look for a bowl that's big enough to store the ball of yarn. Additionally, the bowl should have room for the yarn ball to roll and spin inside.
And, do not forget to pay extra attention to the base's size. A yarn bowl with a small base means tipping over consistently since it will not support a heavy yarn ball rolling around.
Make sure to pick a yarn bowl with a decent size that matches according to the ball of yarn. It does not necessarily have to be extra heavy, but it should have enough weight to stay in place as you are working with the ball of yarn.
The yarn bowl's smoothness is, no doubt, essential, especially in the slot area wherein the yarn is feeding through. As a matter of fact, the smallest unrefined edge of the product will catch the yarn and fray it.
Whenever I make my bowls of yarn, I often use sandpaper (two grades) to smooth and round the edge. That ensures that the slot of the cut out will be evenly coated with glaze and fine yarns will silky smoothly pull through.
Craftsmanship, although not a priority, should be considered when looking for the best yarn bowl. After all, the yarn bowl is an investment, a handy tool and a collectible piece of handmade art.
It really depends on your own preference. In general, though, you should look for a yarn bow that has a graceful shape and a nice, shiny glaze.
Our Top Pick
When it comes to yarn bowls, you cannot go wrong with Yarn Valet. Although it is not as artsy as its wooden and ceramic counterparts, it offers a plethora of perks and unique features. Whether you are knitting or crocheting, this tool has everything you need to keep your yarn balls organized and tangle-free.
Moreover, it is affordable and has a remarkable solid base. With all its incredible features, it is easy to see why it is viewed as the best yarn bowl today.