Do you want to try out a creative hobby? Don’t know what to do and where to start? If yes, then you must try crocheting. It is a needlework technique that is performed using a crochet hook and yarn or thread. While most of us would have encountered crochet in some form or other, whether as apparel or as accessories, yarn is another important element of this technique.
You may naturally have the skill and be available with the crocheting tool, but if you don’t have the good quality yarn, then eventually, the result will be down. Hence, you should carefully choose a yarn according to your project. However, with countless numbers of yarn available in the market, choosing the right one is like finding a needle from a heap of garbage.
So, in order to help you to choose the best yarn for crochet, here I am going to present an article that is comprised of the top 12 yarns for crochet you can buy in 2020 and a buying guide. I have categorized the 12 products by keeping their purpose, specifications, and various other aspects in mind. I hope that this guide will help you determine the best yarn for your crochet project. Without wasting much time, let us get started.
- What Are the Best Yarns for Crochet?
- Top 12 Best Yarn for Crochet to Buy in 2020
- Best Yarn for Crochet Reviews 2020
- Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo Yarn
- Mira Handcrafts 40 Assorted Colors Acrylic Yarn
- Red Heart Super Saver Yarn
- Caron Simply Soft Solids Yarn
- Lion Brand Yarn 135-308 Hometown Yarn
- Bernat Baby Blanket Big ball
- TYH Supplies 20-Pack 22 Yard Acrylic Yarn
- Caron One Pound Solids Yarn
- Bernat Blanket Yarn
- Lion 640-123E Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn
- Mira Handcrafts 8 Acrylic Yarn Bonbons
- Lily Sugar ‘N Cream the Original Solid Yarn
- Buying Guide
- Things to Consider When Buying the Best Yarn for Crochet
- What Are the Tips to Buy the Best Yarn for Crochet?
- Our Top Pick
What Are the Best Yarns for Crochet?
Best for Beginners: Red Heart super saver Jumbo yarn
- Affordable and comes with various colors.
- Best used for the practice session.
- It is flexible and highly versatile.
Premium Choice for colors: Mira Handcraft assorted colors acrylic yarn
- The pack includes 40 rainbow-colored bonbons
- They are ideal crocheting, knitting, and pompoms.
- Soft, strong, and easy to use.
Best for Projects/Craftwork: Red Heart super saver yarn
- Ideal for sweaters, throws, and accessories
- Gorgeous color combinations make this yarn stand out
- Machine washable and tumble dry
Best for clothes: Caron Simply Soft Solids Yarn
- Perfect for a variety of projects from baby to fashion to home décor
- Endless possibilities with the color blend
- Cleaning and care are quite simple
Budget-Friendly: Lion Brand Yarn 135-308 Hometown Yarn
- Comes in a wide range of bright, primary colors, versatile multi-colors, and textural tweeds.
- Can be washed using a machine
- The quality is worth the money. Used in making clothes for the sports team
Best yarn for babies/kids: Bernat Baby Blanket Big ball
- Made up of soft material; hence, ideal for baby’s sensitive skin.
- Harmless, soft and luxurious
- Machine washable
Top Selling: TYH Supplies 20-Pack Acrylic yarn
- They are lightweight and soft.
- Available in 20 unique colors
- Suitable for a large number of handcraft projects
Great Value: Caron One Pound Solids Yarn
- Cost-effective and economical
- A wide range of shades available
- Can be washed and dried easily
Best for Blankets: Bernat Blanket Yarn
- Luxurious, soft and cozy yarn
- Cost-effective yet gives a luxurious look
- Its super bulky weight stitches make it ideal for afghans and blankets
Best Overall: Lion 640-123E Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn
- Durable, Machine wash cold/tumble dry low
- Used for both industrial and handworks purposes
- Great quality.
Best for home décor: Mira Handcrafts 8 Acrylic Yarn Bonbons
- The pack of 8 bonbon skeins comes in rainbow color
- Can be used for various projects, including yarn crafts, home decorations, amigurumi, and toys.
- Great quality and beautiful colors
Best for kitchen needs: Lily Sugar ‘N Cream the Original Solid Yarn
- Conveniently machine washable and dryable
- Great for small projects like dishcloths and potholders
- Good value for money
Top 12 Best Yarn for Crochet to Buy in 2020
Below is the comparison table of the top 12 best yarn for crochet to buy in 2020 with their specifications.
|Red Heart super saver Jumbo yarn - Best for Beginners||744||14 oz.|
|Mira Handcraft 40 assorted colors acrylic yarn - Premium Choice for colors||Total of 875 yds; each skein measures approx. 21.78 yds.||40*10 grams|
|Red Heart super saver yarn - Best for Projects/Craftwork||364||7 oz.|
|Caron Simply Soft Solids Yarn - Best for clothes||315||6 oz.|
|Lion Brand Yarn 135-308 Hometown Yarn - Budget-Friendly||64.59||4 oz.|
|Bernat Baby Blanket Big ball - Best yarn for babies/Kids||220||10.5 oz.|
|TYH Supplies 20-Pack Acrylic yarn - Top Selling||Total of 440 yds; each skein measures 22 yds||20*10 grams|
|Caron One Pound Solids Yarn - Great Value||812||16 oz.|
|Bernat Blanket Yarn - Best for Blankets||220||10.5 oz.|
|Lion 640-123E Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn - Best Overall||108||6 oz.|
|Mira Handcrafts 8 Acrylic Yarn Bonbons - Best for home décor||Total of 525 yds; each skein measures 65 yds.||8*30 grams|
|Lily Sugar 'N Cream the Original Solid Yarn - Best for kitchen needs||120||2.5 oz.|
Best Yarn for Crochet Reviews 2020
Yarn is a primary element if you’re planning to crochet. However, buying yarn for the crochet has always been one of the daunting tasks, especially if you are a beginner. Many people choose the one that comes in their way first without checking the quality. As a result, they end up having poor-quality crocheting.
So, which yarn is ideal for you? Which yarn should you choose? How will you decide on a particular yarn is ideal for your project? Keeping the needs of every user, here I am going to review the top 12 yarns that will match your needs and requirements. You can choose any of them without another thought.
Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo Yarn
(Best for Beginners)
Red Heart super saver jumbo yarn is one of the most loved and popular yarns in America. Made in the US, it is available in a wide range of attractive colors. It is made up of 100% acrylic material, making it ideal for beginners. Being highly versatile, it is suitable for large as well as small projects. The designing of sweaters, jackets, hats, and other accessories is not any more difficult with this yarn. No solid dyes have been used during the manufacturing of this yarn.
- Convenient and easy to use
- Durable and is highly resistant to machine washing
- It is a large super saver pack, which is highly economical and effective
- Cannot be ironed or bleached
- Brand: Red Heart
- Model: E302B.0319
- Weight: 14 oz.
- Bright and beautiful cherry red color
Mira Handcrafts 40 Assorted Colors Acrylic Yarn
(Premium Choice for colors)
Mira Handcrafts 40 Assorted Colors Acrylic Yarn Skeins comes in a wonderful mix of fun, 40 different bonbons that are ultra-soft to touch. They all are made up of 100% acrylic material. This pack can efficiently handle a wide range of projects, including craft projects, amigurumi, fashion pieces, and many more. Since the yarn is soft and easy to manage, it is ideal for beginners. Apart from this, this pack comes with seven e-books and a starter guide, which will help any buyer to develop and design useful projects and crafts.
- Machine Wash and Dry
- Available in Rainbow colors
- Good value for money
- Not suitable for large or commercial projects
- Brand: Mira HandCrafts
- Model: 4336926357
- Weight: 40*10 grams
- 24 different and 16 duplicate colored bonbons
- Comes with 7 E-Books with yarn patterns
Red Heart Super Saver Yarn
(Best for Projects/Craftwork)
Made in the USA, this 100% acrylic yarn offers its users a wide range of bright and beautiful colors. It is available for a 5-mm knitting needle and a 5.5-mm crochet hook. Being economical and functional, this Red Heart Super Saver Yarn is ideal for various projects, including home decor and craft projects. This yarn is lightweight, highly durable, and extremely soft to touch and use. It is seen that the garments or other crochet made from this yarn maintain their shape and texture even after several washes and drying processes.
- Machine washable and no Dye-lot
- No need to change colors; one skein does it all
- It cannot be bleached or ironed
- Special handling is required when dry cleaning
- Brand: Red Heart
- Model: E300.0706
- Weight: 7 oz.
- Bright and beautiful perfect Pink color
Caron Simply Soft Solids Yarn
(Best for clothes)
This yarn is a masterpiece from Caron Industries present in North California, USA. It is made of 100% acrylic polymer, which makes it easier for the users to work with it. Since this yarn is silky soft, you won’t have to deal with tangles, knots, and snags within the skein. It is perfect for a variety of projects, from baby hats, blankets to fashion and home decorations. It has a unique sheen, which gives a fabulous lustrous look and beautiful drape. This yarn is machine-friendly. Hence, it is easy to take care of.
- It is machine washable and dryable
- Cleaning and care is easy
- Suitable for babies sensitive skin
- Brand: Caron
- Model: H970039701
- Weight: 6 oz.
- Incredibly soft
- 4-worsted weight
Lion Brand Yarn 135-308 Hometown Yarn
Lion Brand Hometown Yarn is made in the USA. It is a super bulky yarn, which comes in multis, neons, solids, tweeds, and more. Since the yarn is thick, projects work up quickly. This yarn makes excellent scarves, blankets, hats, shrugs, etc. It comes in a wide range of bright, primary colors, versatile multi-colors, and so much more. It is composed of 94% Acrylics and 6% Rayon. It is most suitable for crochet and sports team projects. This easy-care yarn is machine washable and dryable.
- Widely appreciated for its versatility and quality
- Machine washing and drying can be done
- Bleaching cannot be done
- Brand: Lion Brand Yarn
- Model: 135-308
- Weight: 4 oz.
- Key Largo Tweed Yarn
- Available in a wide range of colors and styles
- Soft and easy to work with
Bernat Baby Blanket Big ball
(Best yarn for babies/Kids)
Bernat Baby Blanket yarn comes in a wide shade range. This yarn is made up of 100% polyester, which makes this yarn incredibly soft. The luxurious soft style yarn is perfect to create blankets, caps, sweaters, booties, etc. for babies. They are delicately made for babies, and it has passed the entire test for harmful substances. So, you can be sure that this yarn doesn’t irritate your baby’s sensitive skin.
The yarn is machine washable and dryable. Your little one is going to love being wrapped up cozily in a beautiful blanket made up of this yarn. You can also use this yarn to make multiple handcrafts using the crochet.
- Luxurious and soft
- Safe for babies sensitive skin
- Easily washed and dried
- Not suitable for home decors or interiors
- Limited to smaller knitting
- Brand: Bernat
- Model: 16110404005
- Weight: 10.5 oz
- Snow white color
- Tested for over 300 harmful substances
TYH Supplies 20-Pack 22 Yard Acrylic Yarn
The yarn from TYH Supplies comes in a pack of 20 skeins with a variety of colors, which makes it ideal for a wide range of projects, including fashion pieces, crafting, etc. This yarn is made up of 100% acrylic yarn and known for its smoothness, durability, lightweight, and reasonable prices. It is highly recommended for beginners and kids. Though it is a bit thinner, if you’re looking for a yarn for craft purposes, then this yarn can turn out to be the best option.
- Soft and light
- It won’t shrink or fade even after repeated washing and dry cleaning
- Easy to wash and durable
- It can’t be bleached or ironed
- Not suitable for commercial projects
- Brand: TYH Supplies
- Model: BLRED
- Weight: 20*10 grams
- Includes 20 color options
- Light worsted yarn
- Reasonable prices
Caron One Pound Solids Yarn
Caron one pound solids yarn is made up of 100% acrylic material. When it comes to value, nothing can beat this one pound solid yarn. This yarn covers the whole color spectrum and available in 39 shades, which makes it a perfect one for any projects. One Pound skein is highly economical; you can make 4-full-sized scarves from one skein. It can handle a wide range of crochet projects. This yarn is machine washable and dryable.
- Machine washable and dryable
- It is a highly economical yarn and good value for money
- Made up of durable fiber
- It can’t withstand high heat during the dry-cleaning process
- Brand: Caron
- Model: 29401010620
- Weight: 16 oz.
- Grass Green Color
- Ball size: 812 yards
- One skein makes 4-scarves
Bernat Blanket Yarn
(Best for Blankets)
If you’re seeking a chenille-style yarn that is super cozy, soft, and luxurious, then nothing can beat Bernat Blanket yarn. Being a super bulky yarn, it stitches up quickly and ideal for creating afghans, baskets, blankets, home décor projects, etc. It is soft and cozy and made of 100% polyester. This yarn is machine washable. Its generous size makes it perfect for large projects and saves you money.
- Super cozy and soft yarn
- Machine washable and dryable
- It is ideal for making blankets and other projects
- Luxurious look and cost-effective
- This yarn is difficult to untangle
- Brand: Bernet
- Model: 16111010040
- Weight: 10.5 oz.
- Color: Coal
- Ball Size: 220 yards
- Ideal for baby blankets
Lion 640-123E Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn
If you want a strong but soft yarn that is easy to clean and maintain and comes in a wide range of different colors, this product is the best choice for you. Just like other yarns, it is machine washable and can be dried in a machine dryer. This quality yarn is ideal for making sweaters, scarves, and blankets. It is made in the USA and comes in a lovely shade of oatmeal. As the name of this product refers, it is thick and helps you complete your project faster. It is made up of 80% acrylic and 20% wool. It is easy to use yarn for beginners.
- Available in a variety of sizes, shades, and colors
- Machine wash and Tumble dry
- It is made up of 80% acrylic and 20% wool
- Difficult to untangle
- The ball size is small
- Brand: Lion Brand Yarn
- Model: 640-123E
- Weight: 0.32 ounces
- Oatmeal color
- Ball size: 108 yards
- Ideal for baby blankets and adult garments
Mira Handcrafts 8 Acrylic Yarn Bonbons
(Best for home décor)
It is a Premium quality Eight Yarn Bonbon Skeins, which is made up of 100% Acrylic material and creates exceptional quality dishcloths. With a total of 525 yards (480 m) colorful yarn, it is always a good choice for beginners. If you’re looking for a decently assorted array of colors, this pack of 8 bonbons is an ideal choice. Apart from this, this pack includes 7-ebooks that are loaded with tons of creative ideas that will help you create knitted accessories with unique designs. You will also get 2-crochet hooks and 2-weaving needles.
- Excellent array of colors for your project
- Comes with 2-hooks and 2-needles
- Durable and high-quality yarn
- Quality of yarn could be better
- Small size skeins
- Brand: Mira HandCrafts
- Model: BCAC24392
- Weight: 8*30 grams
- Colors: Mustard, Skyblue, White, Blue, Orange, Purple, Pink, Green
- 2 Hooks and 2 Weaving needles
- Ball Size: Approx. 65 yards
Lily Sugar ‘N Cream the Original Solid Yarn
(Best for kitchen needs)
This Lily Sugar ‘N Cream solid yarn is made up of 100% cotton. It the most exciting alternative yarn in terms of looks. Each skein offers 120 yards, which makes it ideal for creating home decoration accessories, dishcloths, and potholders. You can pick a unique color from a wide spectrum of colors. No matter what type of kitchen project you’re working on, this yarn will also provide excellent results. Like other yarns, you can wash this yarn in a machine.
- Natural cotton material offers extra absorbency
- Lightweight and durable
- Multiple colors are available in vibrant shades with colorful blending
- Very small in size
- Quality could be better
- Brand: Lily
- Model: 10200101132
- Weight: 0.3 ounces
- Beach Glass Color
- Ball Size: 120 yards
- Gauge: 4 med. Worsted
We know you will be excited to choose the yarn for the crochet from the recommended products. But there is something you should know. You need to plan the purchase of yarn for the crochet based on your needs. There are textures, patterns types, and other important elements to consider as you decide on buying them. Below are the basic things you would look out for before the purchase.
Things to Consider When Buying the Best Yarn for Crochet
Types of Yarn
When trying to decide on yarn, the first thing you have to decide between natural fiber or synthetic fiber. Synthetic fibers like polyester, acrylic, or nylon are man-made and are less expensive than natural fibers. Even though they are not soft, many people prefer synthetic fiber for the reason that they can withstand both washing and drying. On the contrary, natural fibers like cotton, silk, wool, or even their blends are made of high-quality fibers. They are much softer and luxurious as compared to synthetic ones, but they require extra care while you wash them.
Yarn weight is another crucial aspect that you should consider while buying yarn. The thickness of yarn can vary with yarn type, and it plays a vital role when working up patterns. Though it depends on personal choice, as a beginner, it is easy to work with a worsted weight yarn, labeled as #4 because you need not worry about tangling in this case. Apart from this, you also need to check the recommended hook size. Using the specified hook size will eventually give excellent results.
Texture and colors will determine the look of your crochet and decide the final result. If you have a design in your mind, then choosing the colors shouldn’t be a big deal, but texture can be; you should decide the texture of yarn based on why you’re buying yarn. For instance, if you’re buying yarn for baby items, then soft yarns made up of wool might be a great option in the winter season. On the other hand, if you’re buying yarn for your kitchen item or house decoration project, then you need not worry about the softness. You can choose a blend of fibers.
What Are the Tips to Buy the Best Yarn for Crochet?
- Know your needs
- Decide your budget
- Decide the color
- Check the washing details
Our Top Pick
The yarns should meet the needs or the idea of making. However, never compromise with the quality of yarn even if you are a beginner. Because they will quickly get spoilt, ruin your hard work and memories of creating. One such yarn type among the twelve would be Lion 640-123E Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn. This yarn can be used for both home and industrial purposes. One can easily learn with this yarn, and it is super affordable. It comes in various colors and highly sustainable.
You can buy this product here!